• Advertisement

HELP Needed

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

HELP Needed

Postby blacksuzy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:03 am

Happy new year MUvers , but not a happy start to 2011 for a family stuck midway thru a “holiday” in a sick Suzi ( 95 2.8 ).
Any advice welcome to get her started ! Here’s the symptoms :
Xmas morning , off to tribal lunch ,after 1/2 hour drive, sudden loss of power , pulled over , engine running but not over 2000rpm , starts to miss so swithch off. OK , just a blocked fuel filter , boring but not a prob I am thinking. Change that , usual muck around priming but wont start. Discover that fuel cutoff solenoid not “clicking” when key switched to “on” , no volts at supply wire, so run a wire from battery + to fuel solenoid , and off we go.
Next day replace what appears to be problem – dodgy wiring connector at solenoid , and all seems well on several short trips. Next leg of tour , ½ an hour in ,same loss of power. Disconnected wire to solenoid , hookup the “hotwire” and off we go , suggesting a problem with wiring loom or whatever.
When stopping , switched off BEFORE disconnecting “hotwire” to fuel solenoid.
Engine didn’t stop immediately , ran very rough , shook like buggery then stopped. I quickly tried to restart , no way it's gonna go. Won't restart cold either , no sign of firing ,with not much unburnt fuel smoke out the exhaust.
Is there a checklist of stuff to check /eliminate to find the problem ? Could the half hour of driving before problem be a clue ? I’m hoping it’s an electrics thing , not the injector pump. What are the other wires going to pump for , should they be live when key switched on ?

Thanks all you MU wizards!!
blacksuzy
Isuzu Baby

City: sydney
Vehicle: 93 MU

Re: HELP Needed

Postby blacksuzy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Further to my post earlier . . . .
Seems I have an electrical problem for sure.Swapped filter head in case was sucking air at priming handpump diaphragm( weeping diesel) to eliminate any fuel supply probs.
What I assumed to be fuel cut-off solenoid is something else - has the green plastic cap , above the 4 injector lines. "Fuel Compensator" is a vague memory , maybe it's that.
Not starting explained by blown "engine" fuse ( fuse panel under steering wheel) cutting power to the ACTUAL fuel cut-off , maybe because of a short from all the shaking at last stop as above.Replaced fuse , fired first crank - without power to the mystery green-capped thing. But runs dodgy - power lags the gas pedal or cuts out.
So hotwiring this green-capped thing keeps her running - but is this safe in the medium term until real repairs ? Is it always on when "ignition" is on , or controlled by some other gadget
or signal like a thermostat , hidden computer/gremlin etc.?? If always live , why not just hooked up with same wire as fuel cut-off ? both these wires go to a loom under air inlet manifold against the block , which emerges up by the brake booster.

Any clues where to find a MU wiring diagram, guys ??

cheers ( heaps) John
blacksuzy
Isuzu Baby

Postby pig75 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:50 am

The solenoid with the green cap is part of the cold start system
What year is your MU?
What has been done to the motor recently?
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby blacksuzy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Hello Pig , thanks for reply.
I had guessed the green-capped thingy was " boost compensator " , from a vague memory of discussion on this site of
increasing fueling by adjusting a screw on this.If it is cold start it must be thermostat controlled , gets power when engine cold.
Maybe having it on constantly is compensating for another fuel control problem in the pump. Not a pretty thought !

Aust VIN plate says year 6/99 . Had an import used motor ( in great nick ) installed a couple of years ago. Original died when inlet valve snapped.Same injector pump , 190,000K.

Was harder to first start this morning without the hotwire.
Goes great with hotwire - but may use too much fuel? Might have to go with hotwire just to stay on the road for now. But is it safe ? was ok for300Km .
It must be disconnected before switch off , or terrible rattling misfire shakes the engine up like crazy.
3 hours online search did not get me even close to a wiring diagram.
cheers , J
blacksuzy
Isuzu Baby

Postby pig75 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:45 pm

I have put a FAQ on how to read the factory vin plate viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2009
Wiring diagram use jackaroo/bighorn/trooper or rodeo
Rodeo KB-TF140 Workshop Manual is here http://daemon4x4.org/portal/downloads.php?dcid=5&p=2
jack is here http://daemon4x4.org/portal/downloads.php?dcid=5&p=3
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby blacksuzy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:49 pm

thanks Mr Pig ,
will check those links soon
John
blacksuzy
Isuzu Baby