• Advertisement

diesel oil flush

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

diesel oil flush

Postby kcsoft » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:05 pm

opinions on how to flush the 4jb1t out.

additive added to old oil then drain?
additive added to new cheap oil then drain?
degreaser/kero added to old oil? probably won't do this as i don't want a crankcase explosion but believe it or not it was suggested to me

any other suggestions welcome.

i just wanna clean out this engine as it's really an unknown and my oil which is less than 3000km old has started going sludgey and has high oil pressure longer from a cold start than it did when i changed it. so for now i'm being extra gentle when it's cold.
kcsoft
Isuzu Master

City: B'Berg
Vehicle: 1993 MU 2.8Td

HID Spotlights, Stock suspension, Stock Wheels, custom roof cage on rola racks.

R.I.P. Shane. please people stop smoking!

Re: diesel oil flush

Postby stardog » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:35 am

I done my engine a few months ago i changed oil and filter and used additive to new oil drove around for 1/2 hour then drained and used new oil filter and good oil all good. When i done oil change before this the oil would turn black very quickly less than 150 klms after the flush and over 2000klms over xmas the oil is only slightly black so it worked for me also got a fair bit of sludge out of engine when i flushed it.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:37 am

most oil flushers are little more than kero. Kero has similar burning properties to diesel so it wont harm. If useing an additive follow the makers instructions to the letter. To use kero put a liter in the sump with the old oil and let it idle for 10 min or so. You can give it an odd rev but not high revs and no load on the engine as the lubrication of the oil is reduced.Then drain replace filter and refill

I have heard several sories about engines where stuff has dislodged during a flush and blocked small galleries inside the engine or turbo causing major damage
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby kcsoft » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:50 am

geeves wrote:most oil flushers are little more than kero. Kero has similar burning properties to diesel so it wont harm. If useing an additive follow the makers instructions to the letter. To use kero put a liter in the sump with the old oil and let it idle for 10 min or so. You can give it an odd rev but not high revs and no load on the engine as the lubrication of the oil is reduced.Then drain replace filter and refill

I have heard several sories about engines where stuff has dislodged during a flush and blocked small galleries inside the engine or turbo causing major damage

no chance of crankcase explosion with kero??? i understand the dangers of dislodging bits of crud but the oil is sludged up so badly i think it needs it.
kcsoft
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Pour a little kero into a flat tray and try and light it. You need a lot of patience.
Try the same thing with petrol then try to put out with water. Its a good alternative to plucking eyebrows. Both ways leave you with none but this method hurts more
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby kcsoft » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:01 pm

geeves wrote:Pour a little kero into a flat tray and try and light it. You need a lot of patience.
Try the same thing with petrol then try to put out with water. Its a good alternative to plucking eyebrows. Both ways leave you with none but this method hurts more

okay, i take it that you've used kero for a flush before alan??

i might give it a go, just worried about the crankcase thats all.

i know kero/diesel are hard to light but you can run a diesel on kero, hence why i'm a little cautious.
kcsoft
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:08 am

Never flushed an engine. A properly maintained engine should never need it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene
Kero will auto ignite at 220C If that temperature exists in your sump during light running you have problems a flush wont fix
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby kcsoft » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:32 pm

geeves wrote:Never flushed an engine. A properly maintained engine should never need it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene
Kero will auto ignite at 220C If that temperature exists in your sump during light running you have problems a flush wont fix

ahhh wikipedia! my favourite place on the net next to google.

yes i agree that 220c in the sump would indicate a 'small' problem somewhere, maybe buying colored foot pedals would fix it?? or a big jap racing sticker like apex or greddy?? :lol:

if anyone out there is wondering why their oil turned to ash and why their temperature gauge melted and oil pressure is zero this is what you need to do: big jap racing stickers, colored foot pedals, or send the car to the scrapyard.

on a serious note though, thank you for the advice alan. your avatar rings true to your nature!!
kcsoft
Isuzu Master

Return to Engine