• Advertisement

Spark plug leads and fuel efficiency

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Spark plug leads and fuel efficiency

Postby DesmondD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:50 pm

I've just a had a great two-week trip around the SI but I also noticed how much fuel now costs.
(1) Will my fuel efficiency improve by replacing my spark plug leads? I assume the present ones are the original ones on my 1993 petrol 3.2L DOHC LWB Bighorn.
(2) If I should replace them, are there any special ones worth getting, or do I just take advice from my usual garage? Some forums have raging debates about this topic.
DesmondD
Isuzu Baby

City: Lower Hutt
Vehicle: 1993 Bighorn LWB 3.2L petrol auto

Re: Spark plug leads and fuel efficiency

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:27 pm

If there is no sign of miss then I doubt new leads would ever pay for themselves even if they did improve things. Modern leads are a high tech part designed to fit in with a high energy ignition system and not cause crackle on the stereo. If you do replace any high quality lead will be ok but dont buy a length of cable and hope to succsessfully fit lead ends.
Better chance of success replaceing the plugs but even they last forever these days.
Even my Carib used about $600 in fuel over xmas and thats only a little 1600 wagon
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine