• Advertisement

4jx1 How bad is it realy?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Re: 4jx1 How bad is it realy?

Postby Inventor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Hey Geeves.
Could I please have a manual for a 4JX1 as well?

Thanks in advance.
Inventor
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: 2001 4JX1 3.0L TDI Holden Jackaroo (Manual)

Postby themako » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Wow, I wish I had read this first, as I just got 2000 bighorn to replace my old 1993 which was good truck, apart from the odd oil leak.. ( older truck was written off in a crash ) so I was thinking the newer one would be even better...
themako
Isuzu Baby

City: Cromwell
Vehicle: Bighorn 2000, 3L TD, roof rack and tray, 2 inch lift kit.

Postby Inventor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:20 am

themako wrote:Wow, I wish I had read this first, as I just got 2000 bighorn to replace my old 1993 which was good truck, apart from the odd oil leak.. ( older truck was written off in a crash ) so I was thinking the newer one would be even better...

It is good as long as you maintain it properly and have some troubleshooting skills. It will require a some attention unlike most other cars. The most common faults are usually easy to troubleshoot. Such as the injector sleeves, ORPS, oil pickup, etc.
Inventor
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: 2001 4JX1 3.0L TDI Holden Jackaroo (Manual)

Postby 3VILC » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 am

Just when i was thinking a late model bighorn would be a nice reliable new truck! Maybe ill have to look at a pre 98 model instead. Had a 94 years ago and loved it. Whats the *edit 4JG2-T* like for towing? (Forgetting my isuzu engines, 4JB is the 2.8 lol)
3VILC
I'm only here for the information

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: 89 Hilux. wish i still had my bighorn tho

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:50 pm

good
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: 4jx1 How bad is it really?

Postby pmnugget » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 am

I bought an Isuzu Bighorn with a 4JX1 Automatic around 2005, imported and converted from right hand drive to left hand. It was branded as a Vauxhall Monterey at that time, but is a typical Isuzu Bighorn/Trooper with pushbutton 4 wheel drive (shift on the fly) and also manual 4-wheel drive engagement.

I got it with about 70,000kms on it which is now around 126,000km. The only engine problems I have had were a bad diode on the alternator a while back (replaced), changed the leaking water pump 2 years ago and just had the radiator cleaned out last month (rodded) as it was over heating on the highway, and just had the starter Bendix replaced yesterday. It rides, runs and drives very nicely. The owners manual says to use 10w-40w in this warm climate and that is what I have used for the last 8 years changing at the recommended 10k intervals. Is it really wise to go against the manual and use 5w 30w or 5w 40w as many suggest?

Strangely it is registered as a 1995 Bighorn but I'm not sure the 4JX1 was available in that year. What year did the 4JX1's start? It is our family SUV and I have 6 kids in school and need something that is reliable, but after reading forums about the 4JX! for many years I have become worried about future reliability and I don't have a mechanic that can work on serious engine problems if they occur. As much as I hate to part with it (it really drives great!) I was thinking of selling it and trying to find something more reliable.

I was planning to call IM in England to see if they have a record of the maintenance to see if the injector and turbo recalls were performed. Would they likely have that info? From your collective expertise do you think I am sitting on a mechanical time-bomb? Is this beast likely to fail at any time? Or with my 8 year history of having no major engine problems is is likely to keep on keeping on? My health is also not so good and I'm not in great shape to deal with mega engine problems if they occur. I also do not know of a mechanic who could work on it (serious engine problems) and from what I've read once they start messing with the injectors and turbo, there seems to be a high chance of repeated problems. So if I ran into serious problems I would likely just junk it or sell it for parts.

I'm really sorry about the length of this post, but hopefully it might provide some insight to other 4JX1 owners. I'm just very torn between keeping it and letting it go. Any advise is much appreciated. Great forum and great people here.

Best wishes,

Philip
Last edited by pmnugget on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmnugget
Isuzu Baby

City: Manila
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 4jx1

Postby pmnugget » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:38 am

BTW, If someone has a service manual in digital form for the 4JX1 I sure would appreciate having one. I have the owners manual.

Thanks a bunch- Philip
pmnugget
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm

havnt got the 4jx1 on its own but the following link covers your complete car
http://www.mediafire.com/?i36dwl1pkhb4g
Its a 100 meg file so will take a while to download
What are the first 5 characters of your chassis number? It will be either ubs69 or ubs73
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby pmnugget » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:18 pm

First 5 characters are: UBS73

What does that indicate?

Thanks for the link.

Philip
pmnugget
Isuzu Baby

Postby iananita » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:45 am

UBS69 = 3.1 turbo diesel motor (4JG2) Trooper/Bighorn/Jackaroo
UBS73= 3 turbo diesel motor(4JX1) Trooper/Bighorn/Jackaroo

The change of motor was 97/98 models.

From what I've seen, most 4JX1 motors do not make it beyond 180 000km without a complete injector service, O-rings etc
Here in Australia when the injector recall was done there was a service sticker placed in the door panel.
Check on this wesite for the UK recalls http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewforu ... aae3cedd5a
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby pmnugget » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:21 am

Thank for the info. If I knew it would make it to 160k-180k I would keep it, but I guess it's a dice roll. I was wondering how important it is to change the second small oil filter. At one point in the manual it states that it does not need changing, but I changed mine around 90k I think. I suppose I might start trying fully synthetic oil if that will really prolong the injectors and turbo.

Appreciate the advice.

Philip
pmnugget
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:02 pm

you get good and bad ones like any engine, i work on alot of them highest ks i have seen is 380,000km with no work done to it other than injector sleeves, small oil filter meant to be changed every second service so 20,000km
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 pm

the basic engine is as well made as any other isuzu diesel As long as its properly maintained and you keep an eye on the known things that go wrong it should last forever. The injector sleeves are not a particularly expensive job (rob will know better but you should get change from 1000) the ecu only dies if oil gets in it from the wiring loom after a sensor fails. Pays to know someone that knows these engines though.
Keep an eye on oil and water levels If they go up you have injector problems If you leave it bad things happen but if you fix it quickly no damage
Keep an eye on oil leaks and fix promptly
Your engine should be ok and stay that way (hope)
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby pmnugget » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks for that info isuzurob and geeves. I am slowly getting a better understanding of this engine. I noticed in another forum some step by step instructions on how to service the injectors with huge savings. We have machine shops here that could likely make the injector removal tool for around $50, if I would be able to get the proper o-rings and seals. They seem to be having good luck with do-it-yourself fixes. We have a shop here that sells nothing but o-rings so probably I could find them if the quality was good enough.

As long as I have enough confidence that I could get it repaired then i would rather keep it. I was told by a car dealer that I could sell it for around $7500.00 USD in present condition. They really like diesels here as the fuel is subsidized by government.

Thanks again,

Philip
pmnugget
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 pm

rob might be able to answer what is needed for the o rings but I would suspect its better going for the genuine part. Theres close on 4000psi difference in pressure each side of the oring so the wrong choice would make things worse.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:02 pm

the o rings stop the water and diesel mixing, the sleeves and the head are the worst part if they fail, injectors just pull out but drain the cooling system first, the sleeve and the head mate together with no oring or sealant, so its very important to have a good cooling system, if cooling system is bad it corrodes around the head and sleeve causing water to enter the cylinders, the sleeve remover would be easy to make, also make sure the holes in the sleeves face north south when fitting them, holden do a service kit think sleeves are 80 each plus orings, hope that helps
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby pmnugget » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Rob when you say "it's important to have a good cooling system", do you mean a proper mix of coolant and water and a regularly flushed out and clean radiator and system? What is the best mix of coolant and water for that engine?

Thanks,

Philip
pmnugget
Isuzu Baby

Postby pmnugget » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:39 pm

Also was wondering if Magnatec 10w 40w oil is good for that engine. Thx. Philip
pmnugget
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm

I would of said 5w40 if you can get it but in the philipines 10w40 will be ok. If the oil is too thick its hard to start in cold weather
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:15 pm

just normal maintanence to the complete engine make them last, rusty water is a no go, just make sure the water is clean and has coolant in it 50/50 mix will be fine, they also rust holes in the piston liners if they have bad cooling systems, we run 5w/30 but 10w/40 will be fine i have run 10w/30 in them before
isuzurob
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Engine