• Advertisement

4jx1 How bad is it realy?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4jx1 How bad is it realy?

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:03 pm

Ok we all have heard the horror stories about this engine but is it really that bad. Is it a case of those few that are bad making up for the majority of good ones or is it a case of they all want to kill you by either accelerating unexpectedly into a traffic jam or leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere in a snowstorm.
Reason Im asking is part of my quest to own a Wizard. There are a few with this engine not much more to pay than the earlier ones.
Could everyone that has a 4jx1 powered wagon and have owned it more than a year please respond with there experience from this engine. I would also like to know your current mileage.
thanks
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: 4jx1 How bad is it realy?

Postby lewis » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Must be as bad as you think!
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:50 pm

4jb1s with 360k dont count
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby boudica » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:44 pm

I HAD one (trooper 2001) it started giving me problems with less than 90k kms. Changed injector seals and not sure what else at around 60k. Changed the computer at around 70k+ then 8 years after isuzu sent out a paid add to bring in all 4jx1 engines to have injectors and injector seals check. Then just this year they sent out a notice that they are recalling computer boxes. YEAH right!! Almost all troopers here in the Philippines experienced a problem with their ECU (or was that ECM) injector/seals or fuel pump. I was really really disappointed with Isuzu - they denied that there was anything wrong with it but troopers were conking out left and right. Mine started stalling at random and was starting to show signs of injector trouble after 20k (this was the after the 60k replacement) oh yeah! the turbo died on the second owner 2mos after buying it from me
boudica
Isuzu Baby

City: Manila
Vehicle: 4jg2 turbo vehicle

Postby dsuguitan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:48 am

Hello. I own a trooper 2000 model with the 4jx1 engine. I got it 2nd hand at 102,000 Kms . It's now 132,000 kms. I've had it for almost 1 year and 10months now. It still has the original injectors. so far I've changed the following:
1.tps sensor ( at 110,000 kms. The check engine lamp suddenly lit up while on a long drive. Symptoms were delayed shifting of the auto tranny, slight loss of power)
2. Oil pressure relief valve/oil suction pipe and O rings ( symptom: zero oil pressure reading at morning starts. It was suggested by another forum (uk forum) that air was passing thru the leaking o rings and that there might be a small crack as well. I replaced oil pressure relief valve ( located at the oil cooler) because upon inspection and removal of the oil cooler, no oil was present, I was thinking of a stuck relief valve. Replacing the 2 parts solved the zero oil pressure reading at morning starts.

The previous owner replaced the following:
1. Rail pressure sensor, rail pressure control valve, tps and injector sleeves o rings at 78,000kms. ( symptoms: black smoke, low power and engine stalling.)

I also have an Isuzu Mu 4jg2 auto tranny that has done 240,000 kms, and thanks to you and this forum I've modified it and tuned it following the suggestions in this forum( top mounted inter cooler with hood scoop, 2 inch lift, knn filters, timing adjust)

Bottom line:
I wouldn't recommend it as your primary vehicle. the 4jx1 engine requires tedious attention( checking for diesel in the radiator, rising oil in the dip stick, hard starts, emission problems to name a few, as well as proper oil viscosity and regular 5000kms oil change) and meticulous trouble shooting, but thanks to this forum, I've acquired the manual which has helped me a lot. You really need a tech 2 scanner to properly pin point the problem or an impending problem, lucky for me, an Isuzu repair shop is near my house and the first sign of discernible problem, the trooper is at the shop with a tech 2 installed.
The 4jx1 engine as some forums would suggest and imply, doesn't like to pushed hard and strained to the limit and I agree, unlike the 4jg2. When running well, the 4jx1 is really smooth, responsive with adequate power. My fuel consumption on long drives is about 10/l per 100kms, running at 100kms to 110kms / per hour with the rpm at around 2200 to 2300.
I hope this helps, just returning the favor for everything I've learned from you and this forum.

Regards,

Danny
dsuguitan
I'm only here for the information

City: pasig
Vehicle: isuzu MU '96 auto
'

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:59 pm

No one says they had a trouble free 4jx1. I think that says enough and was why my new wizard is 2 years older than the oldest 4jx1
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudgrip4 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:12 pm

It is mighty significant that the biggest diesel shop in Christchurch will no longer work on 4jx1s - won't handle them anymore. Send them all back to the Isuzu agent. Too many issues with this motor.
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 3.1 Bighorn lwb

Postby stardog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:47 pm

What i have heard about them would not buy a 4x4 with one in it give me my old reliable 4jg2t any time.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby Dodgyjack » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:33 am

I've had one for 2 years now. I'ts in a 2000 Holden Jackaroo. So far is had 3 ORPS replaced, every time dealer worked on it was back next day due to break downs,now got diesel in radiator (injector seal issue) and current recall on injector harness.Research after I brought it has revealed they're prone to problems and any thing above 100 000km is a life time achievement. Very few diesel guys will touch them here in Tasmania, Holden dealerships cause more probs than they cure. At moment I'm attempting a conversion to either 4 JB1 or 4JH1 but having problems with ADRs. Personally, I wouldn't touch or recommend a JX1 to anybody.

A member of another forum summed it up when he described owning one, and the feeling he got when he took the family out in it , with a quote from Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry character " DO YA FEEL LUCKY PUNK ??.... WELL DO YA ??!!.."

Dodger
Dodgyjack
Isuzu Baby

City: Burnie
Vehicle: 2000 Holden Jackaroo 4JX1 Turbo

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:43 pm

4jh1 would be the best conversion but dont know if the electronics of that engine will talk to the harness in your car. 4jb1 would be easyest conversion esspecialy if you put a 5 speed manual in at the same time but may be underpowered. Your car is close on 300kg heavier than the car the 4jb1 was in
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Dodgyjack » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:19 am

I'm doin it!!. Going 4JB1t,using my intercooler,3" dump pipe with 3" stainless system,rebuilding everything including pump from 96 JB1, going to try my JX1 turbo on it with boost controller turned to 14psi,hooking my existing 5 speed box to it. Even got a guy going to " professionally " put the JX1 numbers where they should be.
Too many ales and I might get confused and try fitting a 3lt piston!!. hehe
Dodgyjack
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:15 am

And the covers from the top of the engine? I would notice
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Dodgyjack » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Been looking at that, I think most of it will be hidden under the intercooler and JX1 air intake. Must be going crazy cause a voice in my head keeps " sayin' use the JX1 manifolds "........ wouldn't be possible. Would it??.

Gee geeves please don't ever take up vehicle inspections for Tasmanian government.lol
Dodgyjack
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:43 pm

My job is to flag up problems before you present it to the powers that be. Much better think about these things now rather than once the project is finished
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Dodgyjack » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Much appreciated geeves, much appreciated. Which is more than I can say for the local repco boys who still havnt found me a workshop manual for the 4JBt, they reckon their supplier has none in aus. are they hard to come by??
Dodgyjack
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:17 pm

check your .live email in 10 minutes
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Dodgyjack » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:32 pm

THANKYOU geeves
Dodgyjack
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Speaking to a fellow 4wd club member that never joined here during the week. He had a wizard with this engine for 4 years without engine problem. He was aware of the injector issue but this may of been sorted before he bought it. He did however smash the sump on the auto. He sold it to a friend of his who has had another 2 good years out of it. It now has around 170k
I still recon trusting this engine is a bit like picking your horses by the one with the best payout.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby John51Balcolyn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:07 am

My 2001 Jackaroo had a failed injector which cost me $800 to get fixed just after the 3 month warranty expired when i eventually found someone who would work on it. It has 143k on it, the difficult starting problem and rough running problem slowly got worse until that dreadful dual mass clutch stopped driving, I thought the rising oil level in the sump had got past the rear main seal and lubricated it. Got it towed to the Holden dealership as advised by "Holden Customer (No) Service"to be advised there was "something wrong (expensive) in the gearbox ot transfer case". That will be $104 for the diagnosis thankyou!
I bought a Mitsubishi Pajero -1987 - off the side of the road, changed its overdue timing belts and fitted a free'er flowing exhaust so the turbo could do its thing- lovely vehicle!
Now I'm looking at following the example of those who fit a 4JB1T and live happily ever after.
So yes Jeeves the 4JX1T is a dreadful thing, would you please send me the JB manual?
John51Balcolyn
Isuzu Baby

City: Morisset
Vehicle: 2001 Jackaroo with disasterous 4JX1t and failed clutch3D8LVQ5

Postby geeves » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:01 pm

4jb1 engine manual most of the way to your hotmail now
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Next

Return to Engine