• Advertisement

New to Isuzu

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

New to Isuzu

Postby Robert » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Hows it going guys,just got my hands on a isuzu mu that used to run the 3.1turbo motor.I ended up buying it as a rolling body and just got it going now running a 4jb1t but have had a few problems.First the oil line from alternator was split and dropped all the oil onto road/driveway,it only happend not far from home and oil still shows on dipstick hopefully not stuffing the motor in the process, getting a new steal one made up so should be fixed soon. and second (which is why i'm posting) on start up for about 5 minutes ALOT of blue smoke comes out the exhaust ,It seems to disapear before the temp gauge has moved and after that it runs sweet with no smoke any ideas?..
I hope to be a asset on this forum and help as much as i can :)
Thanks,Rob
Robert
Isuzu Baby

City: ChCh
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Mu

Re: New to Isuzu

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:59 pm

that pretty much par for the course with a 4jb1. All diesels smoke when cold and this engine is worse than most but once warm is fine.
A couple of things that can improve it though.
Catch can This is basicaly a chamber to catch any oil comeing out the breather before it gets into the intake Home made under 20 bucks plus some hose
Injector cleaner
Both come without a promise of success
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Pissy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 am

If I knew/understood the Catch can I would do a FAQ/DIY on it don't I don't ?
Sorry

I did how ever find this thread in the old forum about Oil catch can and DIY

http://clubisuzu.proboards.com/index.cg ... 021&page=1
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 pm

apart from describing the home made option which is not a lot different thats all thats needed
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby turnturn » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:09 pm

I wouldn't be too worried about some smoke while cold. Mine smokes a bit till warm. 290,000+ks and still going.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby Robert » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Hey thanks for the info guy's.But i dont think this is your average smoke on start up,this is very heavy blue smoke that leaves the whole neighbourhood with a haze haha,I have a oil catch can that i wil install in the next week or to
Thanks,Rob
Robert
Isuzu Baby

Postby mulover » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Mine used to leave a nice big cloud of blue first up too, great way to get rid of sand flys in the morning!!!
A week or two after fitting the catch can I noticed a big emprovement. Isuzu's breath rather heavy and it only takes a little drop of oil to make alot of smoke. If your rings are getting a bit worn then it will be breathing even more oil.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby Robert » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:41 pm

Rings shouldnt be a problem has motor has done quite low k's.Just noticed that there is a sensor ontop of my thermostat that is not hooked up,has red on top do i need this
Robert
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:03 pm

If its the one I think it is it could make things worse although it should be conected.
The big question is what does this smoke smell like?
If it smells like a diesel fuel filling station crossed with a burnt bbq steak then its not unusual
If it smells like half the cars at the local demo derby its oil and possibly bad.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Hey guys,Got my new oil catch can installed.Still smokes hardcore but havnt taken it for a decent drive yet so will keep you posted,Also no oil seems to be breathing into the catchcan which I'am guessing is a good thing?
Cheers,Rob
Image What sensor is this?
Robert
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:36 pm

Why have you got a filter on top of the catch can?
If you off road this could allow water into the engine.
No oil in the can after a 100km or so run is good and means you should look towards injectors etc for the problem.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:44 pm

Just a catch can that was off my race car.ill replace the filter with a bung
Robert
Isuzu Baby

Postby Pissy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:52 pm

Nice usage of the EGR bolts.
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby mulover » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:29 pm

You still need a vent of some description or else it will pressurize the tappet cover and make a huge mess.
I have a hose coming off mine that does a few loops and finishes up near the fire wall.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby Demonic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:39 am

That was how I was going to finish mine up - with the loops and filter at the end, BUT if you end up stalling in deep water...... could be bad., unless you carry a hose crimper and put it on when doing deep crossings.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:24 am

Best way is to run the large vent pipe back to the inlet on the intake so the catch can is just a chamber in the breather pipe. If it has a oil drain then this can be run into the dipstick hole
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby dikikx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:00 pm

hey guys !! need a hand here! just got new isuzu mu wizard 1997 auto. help me were to start upgrading it. and im just a lil bit concern i dont have enaf power on it (4jg2 deisel turbo) it only shows some grunt on 2500rpm , is that normal ? and for a start pls somebody tell me that i did the right choice having this truck(look awesome though!) i just dont have any idea of what is his capability.. thaaaanx heaps for who ever can guide me!!1 8-)
dikikx
Isuzu Baby

City: invercargill
Vehicle: mu wizard 1997

Postby geeves » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:48 am

The question is what are you expecting. That motor should pull ok from not much above idle although peak power starts 2000 to 2500. Even then its not a rocket ship. Its a good idea to make sure its running right before starting mod.
Change the air and fuel filter and get a speed test on a decent local hill ie Bluff hill etc. Someone here will be able to compare that to there experience in the same place.
You might have a problem but you could also be expecting too much.
As to vehicle choice they are ok in standard trim and can be modified to keep up with any other similar sized wagon. Nice as a family car as well
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby dikikx » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:02 am

great mahn!! well it start perfectly well, like under seconds a think, hehehe.glow indicator pops out quick and start just as quick even left outside though,(and u know what its like the weather here in south :lol: ) , well im not expecting to much, i just wanna know the normal operation with this beast! so far i did drive this for about 1200k from christchurch -westcoast-south, perfect with no hassle at all, just that thing i hate it when i get stop in the middle of the step climb coz it will rev wild (3000rpm) until it reach to the top, but when u can built a momentum from it , itl just climb sweet as thou!,is it normal that the rpm stays in 2000 even if i do a speed of 100ks?
il try to body lift this one myself , do u think it will be easy, i mean with out any welding regime and mind bugling mechanic science? :lol:

heaps thaanx u guys !!
dikikx
Isuzu Baby

City: invercargill
Vehicle: mu wizard 1997

Postby geeves » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Im guessing this is auto. (not many manuals so good guess) With foot flat the kick down control should hold a gear to around 3000 in economy mode of 3800 in power mode. (switch on the gearstick) You can trick the box into changing up by momentarily lifting the accelerator.
Do check your auto fluid. It should be pinkish red with a strong oily smell. If its dark red or worse brown with a smell like burnt toast you have auto problems that need attention.
Before you do any lift do remember that all lifts in NZ require certification to be road legal. A properly done 2 inch body lift and 2 inch suspension lift will pass certification without drama except for the $400 bill
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Next

Return to Engine