• Advertisement

1993 Isuzu MU 3.1L Turbo Diesel - Blowing smoke

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

1993 Isuzu MU 3.1L Turbo Diesel - Blowing smoke

Postby Mucrazy09 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on my MU's situation? First up, It seems to be running batteries dry after not very long and when I can get it started, after running it for a little bit, it blows alot of black smoke. I have heard that this could be the turbo seals going but just wanted to here the opinion of someone who has experience with these cars. Other than the smoke blowing and starting issues, the car seems to run fine. Please HELP!!!

Regards Jarred
Mucrazy09
Isuzu Baby

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 3.1L Turbo Diesel

Re: 1993 Isuzu MU 3.1L Turbo Diesel - Blowing smoke

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Black smoke would tend to point to a fuel issue not oil so unlikely to be turbo seals.
By battery runs dry do you mean out of water or out of power?
Get a multimeter and check battery voltage both with the car running and turned off and report back
The smoke What does it smell like?
Theres a few options but the answer will cut those in half
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Mucrazy09 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi Geeves,

Thanks for your reply! I guess the smoke probably smells more like diesel(trying to remember as it hasn't been running since Feb). With regard to the battery running dry, it flatterns the battery very quickly - say i would leave it overnight, there's a good chance it wouldn't start the next day. Maybe i need a larger battery?

I will have to buy a new battery i think before i can check the voltage while its running - as i cant start it currently.

Thanks again
Mucrazy09
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:29 pm

If its been sitting for a while my money is on a bad battery as batterys dont like that sort of thing. If you charge the battery does it start or if your lucky enough to have a manual can you push start it (many hands make light work). Then you can check the charge voltage which should be about 14.5v with the engine revs 1000 or above.
Also the black smoke could be dirty injectors from sitting. Its normal for a cold diesel to smoke Also old fuel does separate in the tank so a good quality injector cleaner might help as will a decent run. I use Nulon but Moreys and STP are also good.
If that doesnt fix it you may need a professional injector clean or new injectors. If its running fine with good power apart from a little smoke a cleaner should fix
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Mucrazy09 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:49 pm

thanks alot guys, i'll see how i go with some of those suggestions.

Cheers
Mucrazy09
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine