• Advertisement

oil leak from fuel pump?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

oil leak from fuel pump?

Postby Krupkee » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:50 pm

ok, so i fixed the headlights, turns out it was a faulty switch :( so anyways i put it back together and go take it for wof, guy pulls me over to the car and points out a pretty bad oil leak(and power steering and fuel leak too :( )...hmmm...thought i fixed that with the oil return from turbo. so i drove home and looked closer at it, and sure enough there was still an oil leak, which must have happened between me driving to the auto aprky and back because there is a puddle of oil where i had parked before going to wof but i had parked in a different place before that :( . anyways the leak seemed to be coming the crank pulley area and under the belt covers, so take them off, looks like its coming from the right side, around the fuel pump, im guessing the fuel pump is part of the oil system from the engine and doesnt have its own lubricating system? is there a seal which seals the fuel pump pulley which could have gone bad? the fuel leak seems to be coming from around the injectors area and i cant see the pwoer steering leak, so i think wof guys got that mixed up with oil
Krupkee
Isuzu Baby

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu mu

Re: oil leak from fuel pump?

Postby pig75 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:35 pm

There is no engine oil in the injector pump
the power steer pump is right above the injector pump check for oil running from the steer pump
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:22 pm

true
has the fuel leak washed oil off the top of the engine.
Is it definatly engine oil. ie black sooty stuff. It might be power steer fluid or fuel. If its diesel then its a full pump rebuild sorry. Power steer pumps are cheap
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Krupkee » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:45 am

well im pretty sure its a real slow leak from aroung the injectors area because i can see some diesel pooled up next to them and occasionally i can see a drip come down. car seems to be running fine. thought it was power steering fluid at first but the pumps not leaking, and took the power steering pump of and its not leaking, guess I will have to take the other big cover offand have a better look.
its real hard to distinguish as its not a clean engine and ive bled the fuel so could just be remains of that leaking down, might buy heaps of degreaser and wash it down to see exactly whats leaking from where lol
Krupkee
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:21 am

Be careful not to get any on the timing belt. If there is any contamination of this belt or if its nearly due change it at the same time.
We are sure your mechanic didnt pour some oil down the side of the engine as a recession buster??
Spilling from last top up?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Krupkee » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:17 pm

haha nah im my mechanic, yeah its covered in oil, was going to replace. leak progressively got worse, like going from drips every 5 seconds maybe to constant dripping, im thinking some seal in there, is there a camshaft seal? havnt pulled it apart but from the outside i cant see how it works, seems too high for crankshaft seal but moving belt wouldve thrown oil everywhere.

on a side note, is there a haynes type workshop manual for the mu/amigo/frontera that would apply available? would make life a lot easier
Krupkee
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:17 pm

Yes there is a seal on both the crank and cam. A few front seals have gone recently
go to gmail.com
login as isuzunz pass 4jb1turbo
There are 8 emails labled frontera Download the attachments and open with 7zip
You also need the attachment from the 4jb1 email which is just the engine.
They are big so if you havent got broardband send me a pm and I will send up on cd
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Krupkee » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:33 pm

your the man geeves :) run outta bandwidth but resets saturday night, got work tomorrow so will sort it out sunday and update on the progress then
Krupkee
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine