• Advertisement

New Injectors

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

New Injectors

Postby mecheng46 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:49 pm

I am in the process to change the injectors on my Isuzu Pickup 1992 2.8TD. The car smokes a bit and I think my injectors needs replacement. I rebuilt the injectors pump (diesel pump) before 1 year so the next problem possibly are the injectors. So I would like to ask weather injectors replacements needs a professional person to do it, or If it just a simple replacement? Does they need adjustment?
mecheng46
Isuzu Baby

City: Sh
Vehicle: Isuzu Pickup 2.8TD, 1992, 4jb1

Re: New Injectors

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:29 pm

there is some shiming inside and a needle that should be lapped in correctly if you are just replacing the tips but if you are replacing the complete injector with second hand ones its easy enough. Replacing the injectors was the best 50 bucks I ever spent on my bighorn
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mecheng46 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:16 pm

geeves wrote:there is some shiming inside and a needle that should be lapped in correctly if you are just replacing the tips but if you are replacing the complete injector with second hand ones its easy enough. Replacing the injectors was the best 50 bucks I ever spent on my bighorn

If I replace only the tips with new ones, do I need to buy new shims and needles?
mecheng46
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:06 pm

My understanding is that the original needle has to be lapped into the new tip in much the same way as valves on old cars. Someone else might know more than me on this one though.
Last time I priced new tips a set was around 800 NZ add postage to Uk and its a big bill.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mecheng46 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:31 am

It's been a long time since i posted the issue with my injectors but i still have the car and i have a bigger problem now.

Few months ago i adjusted the fuel screw on the diesel pump to try and increase engine fuel economy, well i think i messed up with something because after that the engine never run like before.

When car is cold it smokes a lot, when i say a lot i mean a lot. The smoke is white and the engine is definitely not burning engine oil at all so i am confused. The car is like is on fire and i have to keep the revs a bit high to keep the engine running. This is only for the first 2-3 minutes and ONLY when the engine is cold. When engine is warm no issues at all, engine is ilding fine with no smoke.

I tried adjusting the pump screw again with no success. So i thought it might be the injectors so and i changed my injectors with new ones few months ago and the problem is still there. What's wrong with my engine?
mecheng46
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:55 am

if you only changed fuel delivery it shouldnt of caused smoke on start up. The fuel delivery screw only afftect full throttle fuel
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:17 am

white is unburnt diesel, the 4jb1-t rodeo engines have issues with running ruff when cold when they have done some ks, a pump rebuild will fix it, unless its sucking air from somewhere or its down on compression
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby mecheng46 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:05 am

The biggest problem is not the smoke, the problem is that i cannot get it to idle when cold, i didn't have them issues before start messing around the pump. Is there an air screw on the pump or just the fuel one?

Engine was running all right before.
mecheng46
Isuzu Baby

Postby mecheng46 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:40 pm

I have some more information that might help somebody identify the root cause of my problems.

I just noticed that the temperature gauge on the dash is not working. I had a look for any loose wires but so far it looks ok.

I am also not sure if my glow plugs are working and next step is to find the way to check them. I find it unlikely all my glow plugs to stop working at the same time so I am wondering if the temperature gauge is connected somehow on the glow plug system? I disconnected and re-connected the glow plug controller sensor on the thermostat housing and I can hear the fuse clicking. Not sure if is a good or a bad sign. Glow plug lamp on dashboard is not working but I can't remember if it has always been like this.

Any help will be much appreciated
mecheng46
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine