• Advertisement

Electric Radiator Fans Questions

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Re: Electric Radiator Fans Questions

Postby dasnoboarder » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:19 pm

iananita wrote:Use the block drain plug, located left side near back of fuel pump

That's a good idea, wouldn't happen to know the thread size would you?

Cheers.
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby bedford4x4 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:25 pm

One of the best electric fans to get your hands on is the 2-speed Ford Taurus fan - a huge fan which is coveted by the V8 boys for it's ability to blow a large volume of air.

Unfortunately they are in short supply, so if you can find one, grab it.
bedford4x4
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Turbo-diesel, Bighorn intercooler + bonnet scoop, 2 1/2" exhaust with free-flow muffler and resonator, 1" body lift, 2" rear shackle lift, torsion bars wound up, ball-joint swap, fuel tank lift, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, rock-sliders, aftermarket alloy bash-plate.

Postby wbski007 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:24 am

I used a aftermarket thermostat switch to control the on and off temps,its adjustable for any temp you want your fan or fans to come on at, it works great, the thermocouple attaches any where you want, I have mine at the middle of the rad, you can get them at your auto parts store. see photos
Cheers,Wayne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby dasnoboarder » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:50 am

Hey guys,

Made some comprimises to save costs & make the job easier.

Put the thermoswitch into the thermostat housing, in place of the large sensor on top (2 wires). Did this just so we wouldn't have to take radiator out to braze on a fitting. Also where Motortech guys recommended. Thermoswitch is a 92C/87C.

The Mondeo fans are bolted to the radiator with custom brackets.

In the dash there's a rocker switch, one setting is for thermoswitch activated fans, and one is off for water crossings (also has flashing LED for warning light).

Tried to put the water temperature gauge sensor into the block drain plug. The drain plug was exactly the right length, and the same size bolt head, but the pitches were slightly different. I thought they were too close to try and rethread anything.
So I went for one of the alloy blocks that goes in the middle of the top radiator hose and has a thread for the sensor.

Water temp gauge reads 75C crusing down motorway, 80C while idling. I haven't seen the gauge over 80C yet and I haven't seen the fans come on (apart from testing by bypassing the thermoswitch). Can't feel any power increase in driver's seat (not what I did the mod for) but I reckon there would be much less load on the engine. No heavy clutch & fan to spin all the time, and no electrical load from fans under normal conditions.
Engine bay also seems safer to work on without the big spinning wheel of death ;-) .

Can add pics if anyone's interested.

Andy.
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Postby Demonic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:17 am

Yeah please, Im esp keen to see where ya put the sensor.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby dasnoboarder » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:41 am

Thermoswitch

Fans

Bracket

Switch & Warning Light

Gauge

Gauge Sensor
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Postby InVinceble » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:05 pm

Just doing a bit of a catch up reading... Refering to my old posts as mentioned above....
http://clubisuzu.proboards.com/index.cg ... 342&page=1
My 2 x 12" only come on after giving the truck a good old workout. I got so paranoid about whether they were on or not that I fitted a green LED by the ON side of the switch, this lights when the thermo switch kicks in. Only ever see it on when offroading.
InVinceble
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: Stripped out '94 Honda Horizon 3.1td ....it was modded, just a bit.

Postby dasnoboarder » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:58 pm

That on light is a good idea...

Might do that to mine sometime, cheers!
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Previous

Return to Engine