• Advertisement

grubby radiator

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

grubby radiator

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:30 pm

I pulled off my bullbar today to replace 1 of the indicator/parklight units (the dog ate it) and give it a repaint and noticed that the bottom third of my radiator is full of mud and moo poo. Whats the best way to clear it? Seeing that it is raining quite well I wondered if using the yard hose was a safe option while its all soft. Thanks for the input.
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: grubby radiator

Postby mulover » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:25 am

It will help, but idealy you want to be washing it out from the back, not pushing it through from the front.
If you want to clean it out properly, i reacon the best way is to take the radiator right out and then use a hose or something with very low pressure and wash it out from the back side. One of those cheap water blasters from pak N save or the warehouse works a treat.
Apart from losing all your antifreeze, the radiator is rather simple to take out.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:29 am

Getting it out is still a knuckle killer but easy. You can drain it and reuse the antifreeze if you want and if its still nice and green.
I did make a thin spray out of home irrigation parts that does a reasonable job of cleaning the radiator but the only complete way is to take it out. Soaking it overnight in the bath helps clean it as well
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby justinw » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:33 am

I agree. The only way to properly clean a radiator is to take it out of the vehicle.
justinw
Isuzu Baby

City: Tauranga
Vehicle: 1998 3.1 TD Wizard - lots of mods
1989 V8 Nissan Safari in bits
1991 4.2 Nissan Safari LWB tow wagon

Return to Engine