• Advertisement

setting static timing on injector pump

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

setting static timing on injector pump

Postby stardog » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Would anybody know what the timing marks are for static timing on the injector pump.
I have a timing kit for it but not sure what degrees on the harmonic balancer should be and I know the dial needs to be zeroed.
And I I know where TDC is.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Re: setting static timing on injector pump

Postby isuzurob » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:44 pm

tdc and 10 degree btdc is on the pulley there are other marks also think they are 5, 15 and 20 btdc
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby stardog » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks isuzurob I just wasn't sure where which mark to set at some say 5 degrees and some say 10 degrees on the timing marks on the balancer btdc to zero the gauge in to set the static timing on the pump.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby jellis » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:57 pm

isuzurob wrote:tdc and 10 degree btdc is on the pulley there are other marks also think they are 5, 15 and 20 btdc

from memory the manual says 12° btdc, maybe
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby stardog » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:46 pm

Forgot the timing I need is for the 4jg2t 3.1td engine and I also have a 4jb1t 2.8td which I need as well to check after I do the 3.1td engine.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby isuzurob » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:50 pm

factory spec is 12 btdc and lift of 0.5mm, i have set mine to 0.56mm, 12 is the third line, this is all 4jb1-t genuine book specs i dont have books on 4jg2-t, remember to do it on cylinder 1 tdc and disconnect the fast idle on the side of the injector pump if it has it, advance move toward engine, retard move away from engine
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby stardog » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:55 am

I have found on the internet that the static timing should be set at 0 degrees at BTC and is the Isuzu factory setting for 4jg2t engine with the dial gauge and the 4jb1t at 12 degrees BTC on no piston.
I have never done the static timing with a dial before so this could be interesting how this goes.
This is what I found of a different web site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby isuzurob » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Takes abit to get use to it, and is very fiddley to get it perfect as the lift changes when you do up the injector pump retaining bolts, depending what dti tool you have it will be easier to take the injector pipes off
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby stardog » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:35 am

I bought a kit from T&E tools dial indicator MT 126-41 timing tool no.6454 and adapter kit 6466 that's got short and long adapters with 8-10-12mm threads at the ends for the pump.
So I should be able to put it on with or with out the pipes on but will do it with out the pipes on the pump.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Well I'm going to change the injector pump that's on the engine for the factory new 1 I have had sitting in the cupboard for a few years and install it and do the timing at the moment I have to glow plug it 3 times before it starts and heaps of smoke and misses until it warms up.
When it warms up runs good as gold but bloody annoying in the morning and see how we go with it.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:07 pm

Well tried doing the timing today put screwdriver in the cancel csd some things a miss idling at 1250 rpm turned the idle bolt right out no difference put dial on pump rotated engine backwards till the needle stopped set to zero rotate to tdc set pump to .05 and has knocking noise I must of done something wrong.?????
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby Roderunner » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:59 pm

stardog wrote:Well tried doing the timing today put screwdriver in the cancel csd some things a miss idling at 1250 rpm turned the idle bolt right out no difference put dial on pump rotated engine backwards till the needle stopped set to zero rotate to tdc set pump to .05 and has knocking noise I must of done something wrong.?????

You might have a partially clogged injection pump as mine developed a knock and blew lots of blue smoke a while ago, and I fixed it with 5 bottles of injection pump cleaner over 5 weeks. The cost of the pump cleaners was around $90. and I used a bottle per tank full of diesel. Now it starts straight away and doesn't blow any smoke at idle or any speed. I now add a small amount of oil to the diesel so that the injection pump gets some lubrication because the low sulpher diesel tends to make these older pumps stick internally, which often leads to smoke and knocking!
Roderunner
Isuzu Senior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 93 Jackaroo

Postby stardog » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:54 am

I tried injector cleaner stuff in a few tanks didn't do much flushed the tank out changed the fuel filter.
I have new injectors and just replaced the pump with a brand new 1 I think I stuffed up the timing I read the gauge wrong that's what happens when you rush doing things if the rain stops today I will reset the static timing.
0 degrees BTDC and 0.5 degrees TDC that's with the CSD disabled.
I always use diesel power up now as well which kills algae and lubricates the pump.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby Roderunner » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:53 am

stardog wrote:I tried injector cleaner stuff in a few tanks didn't do much flushed the tank out changed the fuel filter.
I have new injectors and just replaced the pump with a brand new 1 I think I stuffed up the timing I read the gauge wrong that's what happens when you rush doing things if the rain stops today I will reset the static timing.
0 degrees BTDC and 0.5 degrees TDC that's with the CSD disabled.
I always use diesel power up now as well which kills algae and lubricates the pump.

If resetting the injection pump timing doesn't clear up the knock/smoke, then I would be looking for an air leak in the fuel system, which can upset the operating pressure inside of the pump. If you have an egt gauge you probably have noticed that the standard timing should give around 380-420 C exhaust gas temps (pre turbine) at 100 km/h on a flat road with no head or tail wind, a reading substantially higher than this points to retarded timing, or extra drag created by fat tyres and/or a roof rack/lift kit or even a blocked air filter etc. Lower readings point to overly advanced timing. From what I understand, the csd only advances the injection timing at lower revs, when the revs get up there the internal fuel pressure adds more advance and the csd becomes ineffective/over ridden. You seem to know what you are doing, I'm sure that you will sort it out with some patience!
Roderunner
Isuzu Senior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 93 Jackaroo

Postby stardog » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:30 pm

I'm just waiting for the rain to stop and get some motivation to have a look at it I know what I done wrong instead of setting the dial at 0.5 lift not wearing my glasses and in a rush I set it at .50 lift DOH'''
Just had one of those days on that day when I done the pump nothing went right for me but this time I will remove passenger side wheel to make it easier to do.
The bright side of all this is I don't have to remove the pump and all the other stuff this time to do it.
I do have a egt gauge but haven't installed it I just got my 2 1/2" dump pipe the other day which already has a hole for it to screw into it at the back of the turbo.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:44 pm

The CSD on these pumps have 2 water pipes that connect to the pump and disengages the when engine is warmed up.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:11 pm

Finely got somewhere got the timing right I hope cancel csd rotate engine backwards 45 deg set gauge to zero turn engine to TDC loosen nuts on pump set pump at 0.5 on gauge rotate engine back bang on zero rotate engine back to TDC bang on 0.5 all good.
Tighten bolts back up bleed fuel system a couple of whirls and it lives puff of smoke on start up then none take her for a spin no smoke purrs like a kitten pulls like a Isuzu 3.1 should happy camper again.
Lesson learnt don't rush doing the static timing on injector pump and wear my glasses in future.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby MUVIT » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:13 am

handy to know
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

City: Darwin
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 96

Postby stardog » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:32 pm

It took me a little bit to work it out but finally got there could not be more happy with the old wizard now going to be doing a trip back up to QLD very soon got mums 83rd birthday in September.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby MUVIT » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:43 pm

cool.
I cant wait to slap on these MT 285s & fire the Ol MU up
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

City: Darwin
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 96

Next

Return to Engine