• Advertisement

4JX1 running rough and lots of white smoke

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JX1 running rough and lots of white smoke

Postby JonoD92 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Hey guys i have brought a 2001 Holden Monterey with the 4JX1 engine it is running rough at idle and there is lots of white smoke out the exhaust
it has a miss at idle and sometimes when driving much worse when cold

so far i have

done a complete oil change with 5-40 synthectic oil and replaced both oil filters and the fuel filter

done a pressure test on the cooling system and there is no leaks there and it is not mixing any diesel or oil or coolant
so no coolant in oil etc

i have cleaned the map sensor port and even replaced the map sensor with a known working one

cleaned the oil rail pressure control valve

i have a tech2 and with the engine off the Oil rai pressure sensor reads 0.02 and reads 6.0 when idle but does jump around when driving but always without 1.5 or so of the desired reading

also with the engine cold the tempreture sensors read within 5c of each other

the map sensor reads about 100 kpa at idle and goes up to just under 200 when revving the engine

i have replace the oil pickup o-rings in the sump

i have done a balance test with the tech2 and no matter what injector i disable it runs worse but no differance between injectors

at this stage i have the injectors out and am going to pull them apart and inspect them as we suspect that maybe all 4 are faulty

here is a video of the car running when cold however it is normally much worse than this

does anyone here have any other ideas of what could be wrong?
any help would be greatly

Thanks
Jonathon
JonoD92
I'm only here for the information

City: Thames
Vehicle: 2001 Holden Monterey 4JX1

Re: 4JX1 running rough and lots of white smoke

Postby stardog » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Try putting 5-30 synthetic oil might be a good idea im told they don't like 5-40 and pray that it fixes it.
If not my wizard used to start like that the timing was out but after I changed the injector pump and timed it properly runs like a charm now but mines a 4jg2t engine the 4jx1engines I wouldn't touch with a 40ft pole.
Good luck
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby JonoD92 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Thanks
i forgot to mention that i have also checked the timing and it is timed correctly already and correct me if i am wrong but going from 5-40 to 5-30 would not make the engine run any better at cold and it is what most of the guys in Australia run anyway
ofcourse i could be wrong on this but that is just what i have seen

i brought this car because i needed a 4wd and it was cheap and i like a project and also from everything i have read and seen with the 4JX1 engine they are actually really good engines if you keep up with the maintenance know a bit about how the injection system works
JonoD92
I'm only here for the information

City: Thames
Vehicle: 2001 Holden Monterey 4JX1

Postby stardog » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:12 pm

The only other thing I could think of would be the turbo charger when mine was stuffed it spewed out white smoke like that when it warmed up.
A lot of people who have these engines in colder climates even use 0-30 oil I have heard im not a fan of these engines but when they are running right people love them but when their not they cost so much to fix.
Hope you sort it out and hope its nothing major.
Cheers stardog
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:17 am

Hopefully rob will come up with a suggestion>He is our expert on these engines
What does the white smoke smell like?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine