• Advertisement

4JG2 Bent Pushrod / Head Gasket Rebuild Advice

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Re: 4JG2 Bent Pushrod / Head Gasket Rebuild Advice

Postby stardog » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:08 am

Your timing is out had the same problem with my 96 wizard blowing white smoke knocking like that.
Had to pump the loud pedal ran like a dog just like yours is doing.
After I re done the timing starts first turn of the key now and no knocking noise or smoke.
Make sure you static time the pump properly with a dial gauge as well.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby Mudbomber » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Hey folks thanks for the advice :) Ok I got the comp tester on it and it came up as in the pics 450, 485, 465, 475. I think 10% diff is acceptable so that would mean their ok except that 450 bit it's still less than 10%. What was strange was one glow plug looked like it had oil on it and two other ones were wet. I'm wondering if I hooked the diesel lines up wrong? I had a look online to see if I could sort it myself but couldn't find the info so I labelled a pic above, does it look right to you guys? I'm going to top up the coolant more as it's only run for like 1 min max and there might be some crud in the coolant and I'm wondering if it is putting oil into the coolant but that could also just be crap from me washing the engine. I have a tester for the coolant system to test for a cracked head gasket but it would need to be running to determine that. Have a look and thank you folks so so so much for your advice. I did wonder about the chuffing, I'm happy to take more videos :) The smell of diesel when it was running was MAJOR.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mudbomber
Isuzu Baby

City: Wellsford
Vehicle: 96 Wizard 4JG2

Postby Mudbomber » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Ah... just got the message about the timing. Hmm. I do have a gauge to test that but I'll have to find a "how to". I'll see what folks say about the compression and fuel line order and then I'll go for the timing :)
Mudbomber
Isuzu Baby

Postby turnturn » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:26 pm

From memory -
1) the firing order is 1-3-4-2.
2) pretty sure the pipework only fits on one way.
3) the engine rotates clockwise (from the front of the vehicle).

As above. Checking the timing would be a good start.

Maybe a dud injector?
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby Mudbomber » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Ooooook! Wow that was a long time! A head gasket and head rebuild later it's running ok! I've timing the diesel pump to 0.5mm changed hoses and new glow plugs as they were toast. What a mission this thing owes me another $600 so I'm seeing it through, any advice for below??? My old 4JG2 is sitting there with the fuel pump and is pretty complete so for all the help I got from you folks would anyone like any free parts if you're in NZ?

NEW QUESTIONS!

1- I had to fit my other diesel pump which meant I needed to disconnect the kick down cable. It runs and drives but it revs way too high in first before changing and is shifting is really weird :S So... I topped up the trans fluid and it's still the same. I think I need to adjust the kick down cable. I read a post on the forum where Geeves said that the shifting is a result of a TPS sensor on the diesel pump, trans temp and the kick down cable. The picture below is the top of the pump with the cable the way it is, does anyone know how to adjust them correctly or is it just a tighten and try it?

2- My 4x4 light is always on, I think my next mission is to see what relays and hoses operate the 4x4 which should be a mission as I ripped out the EGR which took out heaps of vac lines and I'm likely to need to start from square one. The next 3 pics are of connectors I can't figure out where they plug it?

Random vac line? Has what looks like something to stop back flow when under boost? Goes down to transmission I think.

Random connector behind airbox?

Blue wire behind fuel pump? Not the one that goes to the fuel solenoid.

These bad boys are for my EGR system, or is one of them for my 4X4 that I've now messed up???
Mudbomber
Isuzu Baby

Previous

Return to Engine