• Advertisement

Started burning oil once changing brands.

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Started burning oil once changing brands.

Postby Lagwagoning » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:07 pm

Im running 2 rodeos, both 2.8's and also servicing my brothers for the last 11 years.
In all 3 i have always used Valvoline Super Diesel and Ryco oil filters.
On advice from a couple of reputable sources i made the switch to Valvoline Diesel Extra and bought 40 liters, after a couple of services i noticed all 3 utes starting to burn about 500-700ml of oil between services of about 6000k.
They have done 260k, 210k & 310k, all a mix of highway and farmwork, little 4wding and been driven with care.
I scratched my head and mused over why this was occurring and realised around the time i switched to Extra i bought a batch of Sakura oil filters and have used them ever since.
Surely these oil filters are not the cause? Any thoughts?
The local dealer has such a good deal on Sakura filters so i want to use them.The name is a bit deceiving, my first thought was Japanese made which is ideal, turns out they are made in Indonesia.
Im thinking about trying Penrite Diesel FX, 15W-40 Mineral, anyone had experience with this? A Perth mob can deliver free even rural, so a 205L drum is enticing.

Cheers
Stan
Lagwagoning
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: 2001 2.8 Rodeo

Re: Started burning oil once changing brands.

Postby magicdeo » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:33 pm

I cant comment on the quality of the extra mate but i ran super diesel for a while and found it to be a terrible oil. Just my opinion. My patrol used to burn super diesel quite quickly and also didnt seem to clean the engine, I changed to caltex delo 400 and it didnt burn half as much oil. Same grade of oil so who knows. I once had a petrol car with a few kms on it and I serviced it with an oil which I was told was far superior to any others on the market. After using it I could hardly keep the oil up to the engine. After some research i found that the oil was indeed so good that it cleaned the engine so thoroughly that i lost all of those carbon seals etc that had slowly built up over time. I was told it is only good if you use it from new or near new. I doubt this has happened to you but I would suggest changing brands and see how you go, it certainly worked for my old patrol
magicdeo
Isuzu Junior

City: Newcastle
Vehicle: 1997 Holden Rodeo

Re: Started burning oil once changing brands.

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 am

Ive used diesel extra in all my isuzus with excellent results. Changing oil type can cause funny things to happen but those motors are still well within spec
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine