• Advertisement

Excess oil Smokey Engine

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Excess oil Smokey Engine

Postby DaffyDuck » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi All!
I'm new to this site and forums in general, and this is my very first post, so I apologise in advance if I make some Noobie mistakes, first of all I'd like to say there is a wealth of knowledge on here (albeit a little tricky to wade through and find the specific information I'm after) so big thanks to all those that have gone before me to make this available, I hope to constructively add to it as time goes by.

So I recently bought a 1989 Isuzu Rodeo, and sadly it's been a huge disaster from the start but that's for another topic.

Today's issue is lots of blue smoke, oil right, reading on here it sounded like it might be coming from the Turbo, but one comment I came across suggested too much oil, now that's an easy thing I can check, and thanks to Greeves posts I removed the dipstick tube to check and drain any excess oil, and sure enough, there was excess, about 1 litre too much...

I would like to add though (for those pedantic, meticulous types like me), that for my engine at least, it did drain the bulk of the oil excess, but it was still above the Max fill mark, so I siphoned a little more out to ensure it was just below max.

All of which made an instant difference, there was no longer a constant puffing of blue smoke while sitting at idle or holding at constant rev's, a pleasing sensation of success for sure!

But I am still getting a mix of black, blue and possibly white smoke when I rev it, I'm yet to take it for decent run since draining excess oil, but I'm wondering if someone can advise potential things that could have been damaged by the excess oil, or what to check next to get a clean burning vehicle again.
Last edited by DaffyDuck on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaffyDuck
Isuzu Baby

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 1989 Isuzu Rodeo

Re: Excess oil Smokey Engine

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:42 pm

First some manuals
http://www.mediafire.com/?cde7nc5v6j8d8
and
http://www.mediafire.com/?nl4zovm1qkg5vs4
Now the reason you still get puffs of blue is most likely that there is oil in the intake. To clean this out you need to take all the pipework off between the intake manifold and air cleaner and clean as required. Dont worry about cleaning the turbo but do clean the intercooler as this is a common place to find oil. Make sure you get all the kero or degreaser out as in liquid form a teaspoon can kill an engine. The breather pipe attaches to the intake and this will be the source of oil.
Before you do this though start the engine and take the oil cap off. Do this cold and hot A little visible vapour is ok but lots of smoke means a tired engine which you may have to fit a catch can to.
From your pm
Bighorns up to 87 used the same engine as the rodeo up to about 96. Bighorns and Mus changed from a gear driven cam to a belt driven cam in 88 and some models also had an intercooler. The intercooler is a bolt on part to all these engines as essentially apart from the cam drive they are the same engine. To id the belt drive engine you will have a plastic front timeing cover where the gear drive engine has a alloy cover. The belt drive engine should have the larger z402 oil filter but the filter housing is also interchangable
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby DaffyDuck » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:24 pm

Right, so I took off everything, Including the manifold, and just as well I did, because the manifold was by far the worst part... There was lots of burnt thick oil, layered and caked on extra thick in the manifold, especially around the 4th cylinder intake, near the breather pipe.... cleaned it all out as best I could with various brushes and once I ran out of Kero, I used Petrol (on the metal parts) so it all came up pretty spotless... after a blat on the motorway doing my bit for climate change the blue smoke was gone... Mostly... it still does a decent puff on start up and is a little smokey till she warms up, so not sure if it's still some residue, or new oil getting in there, or something else altogether, but it is a huge improvement.
DaffyDuck
Isuzu Baby

Postby DaffyDuck » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:36 pm

The black smoke is more obvious now, and admitting a little defeat I took it into Diesel and Turbo for a health check... Several hundred dollars later... They did a compression test and claim 400 psi on all 4 cylinders (I'm assuming that's good) and said the turbo compressor wheel and turbine shaft movement was ok too, but what they discovered was issues with the pump and injectors, apparently someone has played around with it all (adjusting everything in an attempt to get more power out of the engine?) but in the process creating all the black smoke (I'm assuming by forcing more fuel in?) I had to leave for a change of pants at that point and take my car with me, because they reckoned $2-3k to put it right, but couldn't confirm exactly till they got in and dismantled it. But the end result of continuing to drive in this condition is... "Catastrophic Engine Failure"
Oh, and there is also no power to the advance solenoid (whatever that means)
DaffyDuck
Isuzu Baby

Postby DaffyDuck » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:39 pm

I forgot to run the engine and inspect vapour from oil cap... but I guess with 400psi compression, not a tired engine?
DaffyDuck
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:01 pm

400 is ok but not brilliant. Diesel and Turbo do good work but they will quote on everything you might ever consider which isnt necessarily absolutely essential. The question is how much smoke is it creating? Also what state are your filters in?
4jb1s do have a reputation for a little smoke. It is possible to make smoke free but the difference between passing a wof and clean burning can be a lot. When I had a 4jb1 powered bighorn it was smokey so I got some second hand injectors for $55 and it was great for another 5 years. Diesel and turbo would of quoted you 800 for new injectors. My money would be there as a place to start. First put a healthy dose of injector cleaner in the next tank of fuel. If the bottle says use 50mm use 200. See what its like after that. You might be lucky
If you want me to have a look I might be able to one evening next week send me a pm. Im up in Newlands
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby DaffyDuck » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:23 pm

New air filter 6000km ago, and still look pretty clean (and yellow)

Serviced at Oil Changers 600km ago with
Oil Delo 400
Oil filter
Fuel filter (apparently, any way to check?)

Injector cleaner... I'll add it to the list...
I'm also looking at this stuff called "Evapo-Rust" to try clean out the coolant system, would be interested if anyone has some experience.

I'm a little embarrassed to say how much I spent on this vehicle, but it is a Rodeo with a difference and I 'm looking forward to making some awesome posts in the Special Mods section when I really get to making this car "more homely".

I would bend over backwards for your input and advice, I really feel I have been shafted with this vehicle, but I'm striving to put right what once went wrong...
DaffyDuck
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine