• Advertisement

Water Useage Isuzu Bighorn

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Water Useage Isuzu Bighorn

Postby nzscott » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:01 am

Hi Guys ....I have a question regarding my 1992 Isuzu bighorn , I think it has the 4JG2 engine ? it's the 3.1 turbo diesel engine .My question relates to the engine using a small amount of water ,it seems to use approx 1.5 litres of water and then it seems to not use anymore, it doesn't overheat at all but its just never done this before ,in the past its cooling system has always retained the full amount of water and never used any .......I have had it to my local garage/workshop and they pressure tested the cooling system and found no problems with it ,it was holding pressure and it had no leaks ......I have had the same problem in the past with a Honda civic and eventually the civics head gasket blew ,I was wanting to know if anyone has experienced the same problems with their Isuzu 4JG2 engine and I would appreciate your input on the subject ......thanks and regards Scotty
nzscott
Isuzu Baby

City: Takaka
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Bighorn swb

Re: Water Useage Isuzu Bighorn

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:39 am

How are you measuring it. The radiator should stay full and the level in the overflow bottle should be just below the full line when cold. If you fill the bottle to the top it will spill some water.
If the radiator is low and the overflow full it can indicate a leaky head. These engines do crack heads so if you suspect a gasket get the head checked at the same time.
If the bottle is low you have a leak somewhere Look for crusty deposits around hoses
If the bottle is normal but the radiator is has a air space the cap needs changing. There are 2 seals in the cap. The main one is the pressure seal but the one at the top of the cap allows the cap to suck water back from the overflow. No one ever tests this seal
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby nzscott » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 am

Hi , yes I full the radiator to the top and I full the overflow bottle to the full line . I just checked it and it used 0.5 litres of water in a 25km trip .... as I said in the in the post I have had the cooling system pressure tested and there are no leaks or loss of pressure according to my mechanic, I will buy a new radiator cap and see if that solves my problem .thanks for your quick and informed reply ,and if anyone else has any thoughts on the matter please let me know ..cheers all and regards Scotty :D
nzscott
Isuzu Baby

Postby nzscott » Tue May 23, 2017 2:23 am

problem solved ........as it turned out the reason my truck was using a small amount of water was .......after I removed the radiator catch/overflow bottle to refill it, I connected the two hoses incorrectly ,the one from the radiator and the breather/overflow from the bottle were in the wrong order .so when the radiator pressurised it emptied the into the overflow/catch bottle thus forcing the coolant in the catch bottle to empty through the catch bottles overflow/breather hose ........What a dumb arse I am :oops:
nzscott
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine