• Advertisement

Should I fix it if it Ain't Broke?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Should I fix it if it Ain't Broke?

Postby giftedswordfish » Thu May 11, 2017 7:13 pm

I recently bought a 1999 Holden Jackaroo with a 4JX1-T. It has 190000km on it with dealer service history until about 100000km before it was imported into New Zealand from Australia. I haven't had any faults with it until this previous weekend when I went for a mild off-road adventure. After that the oil light came. I topped it up but it still flickers but goes out after driving a bit. Oil pressure is fine and is stable around 600kpa on the guage while driving (a little lower around town). No noticeable change in performance. I did a little digging and found the vehicle had never had any of the recall faults fixed (ie the injectors replace/fixed). Should I be worried about the oil light as the pressure is fine, level is good, no oil in the coolant or vice versa? and should I get the recall work done even though it has made it this far with no problems? I will be conducting the 190000km service as per the Holden Manual the vehicle came with in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for any reply's or thoughts you guys have.
giftedswordfish
Isuzu Baby

City: Palmerston North
Vehicle: 1999 Holden Jackaroo, 4JX1, 5 Speed, Olympic Edition.

Re: Should I fix it if it Ain't Broke?

Postby geeves » Fri May 12, 2017 5:37 am

oil level fine or high? Sniff it. If it smells of diesel panic
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby giftedswordfish » Fri May 12, 2017 9:33 am

No diesel smell and after i topped it off the level has been bang on the top oil level line on the dipstick. Also as of today the oil light has been behaving itself. Could it possible have been a dirty connection?
giftedswordfish
Isuzu Baby

Postby giftedswordfish » Fri May 12, 2017 9:35 am

Should i get the injector work done as a precaution or wait till it starts to play up?
giftedswordfish
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri May 12, 2017 11:58 am

I would be highly surprised if it hasnt been done as it would of failed by now but its still a cheap repair compared to a new engine. Holden dealer will be able to advise if it has been done
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Fri May 12, 2017 4:54 pm

If its running mint dont touch it, most people wreak the engines when they work on them, oil light could be a faulty oil sensor, for the light, also the oil pick o rings in the sump are bad for falling apart, that normally causes it to be hard to start though, 190,000km is low if its been looked after, i worked on one that towed a horse float to events and did 680,000km, they hate short running and around town driving
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby giftedswordfish » Fri May 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Yup, confirmed by Holden as never being done. Yea I was guessing faulty oil sensor as no other symptoms. I will take the sump off when I service it and make sure the pick ups look good. There is evidence it was used as some sort of tow vehicle before coming to NZ, aftermarket cruise control professionally installed, and a trailer brake module installed.
giftedswordfish
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri May 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Did they confirm by looking in the car or a register? It is possible it was done outside Holden
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby giftedswordfish » Fri May 12, 2017 6:03 pm

In what I assume was an online register, using my VIN number. I didn't know independent mechanics were able to do manufacturer specific recall work? There are no notes in the vehicle docs or engine bay, and I guess you wouldn't be able to tell with out taking the injectors out?
giftedswordfish
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri May 12, 2017 8:16 pm

There was a mark put somewhere if it was done by holden in NZ. I know its yellow paint but dont know where it was put. Also dont know if Holden NZ did the same thing. A lot were done before the official recall and some were done after the recall finished
Rob is the expert on these engines. I dont know if the paint mark is publicly known
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby giftedswordfish » Sat May 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I might get the ol' flashlight out and have a bit of a hunt for a yellow mark. I am a little hesitant to get the work done unless it is necessary. What are the chances of it lasting if the work hasn't been done? surely not all injectors will fail, just a large enough percentage to warrant a recall? Assuming the engine is maintained to a high standard.
giftedswordfish
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Sat May 13, 2017 4:51 pm

No yellow marks, can tell if injectors have been changed by plugging it into tech2 and geeting the injector number calibrations, the factory calibrations are on a white sticker on the black plastic rocket cover, cover, for the recall it came with a new sticker with the new numbers (most people didnt change them though), also in drivers a pillar door jam should have a sticker with numbers on it
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Sat May 13, 2017 5:37 pm

The failure is the o rings There are I think 7 in each injector with water oil and diesel in contact with them. They were originally not up to the job and failed in a couple of years
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine