• Advertisement

Fuel Leak '92 Bighorn 4JG2

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Fuel Leak '92 Bighorn 4JG2

Postby royalty37 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:25 am

I have a fuel leak coming from somewhere in the front left side of my engine bay... Upon closer inspection I found that it is leaking all over the inside of the engine bay and around the front left wheel. Although I am not 100% sure, it appears to be leaking from a large metal pipe that has two thin pieces that meet in the middle. I would guess there must be some kind of seal in the middle that could perhaps be leaking? I have read some other posts with similar issues to no avail. I am not very familiar with car engines. Anyway, this problem is leading to very hard starts, taking from 5 to 10 seconds for the engine to start, and it's also causing my engine to idle badly when I stop at lights perhaps... 10% of the time, often so bad that I have to rev my engine to stop it from stalling.

Just want any advice please... Whether it be an easy enough fix for myself, or if I'll need to take it to a mechanic of sorts...

EDIT: Again, on further inspection, I found that the side of the fuel pump appears to be pierced... Every time I press the little metal pump on the top, I see streams of diesel squirt out about 5 inches below the pump press itself. Do I need to replace something or is it as simple as sealing the puncture?
royalty37
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: '92 Bighorn 4JG2

Re: Fuel Leak '92 Bighorn 4JG2

Postby geeves » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:43 pm

The mettal disk thing you push is on the fuel filter. If we are thinking the same this is an assembly behind the air cleaner bolted to a bracket with 2 12mm bolts. If this is leaking its good news. It will be either the water drain valve on the bottom of the filter or the o ring that joins the water drain to the filter.
Easiest thing to do is first buy a new fuel filter. Its probably due a change. Then slide the 2 spring clips on the 2 hoses back and remove the 2 pipes then undo the 2 bolts that hold the assembly to the bracket. This can all be done in place and that is the way the manual says to do it but my way takes 1/4 the time skins 3 less knuckles and only teaches your kids half the number of swear words. Lift the assembly gently and you will see a wire on the bottom unclip this at the plug and take the whole thing to the bench. Holding it above an ice cream container drain about 1 litre of diesel Then turn upside down and remove the water drain valve. Now is a good time to test the tap. Put this aside and now remove the filter from the pump. It can be tight. I broke a filter removal tool on mine last week. Take the new filter and lightly lubricate the large o ring with some of that diesel then screw onto the main assembly. Now take the drain valve clean and remove the o ring. There is a replacement in the filter box then screw this into the filter. Then put everything back together put the inlet pipe back on and pump the pump till fuel appears at the outlet Then put the outlet pipe on and give it a couple more pumps till it gets tight. The engine should start good as new.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine