• Advertisement

3.1 Td bighorn intermittant overheat

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

3.1 Td bighorn intermittant overheat

Postby Renier » Tue May 22, 2018 2:24 pm

I have a 3.1 td bighorn it has a very intermittant over heat issue general on a uphill but not always can be on a flat also doesn't use water any ideas?
Renier
Isuzu Baby

City: Porirua
Vehicle: 3.1 turbo diesel bighorn

Re: 3.1 Td bighorn intermittant overheat

Postby geeves » Tue May 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Standard overheating issues
blocked radiator Take the radiator out and flush the inside both ways with a good pressure hose. Also check the fins are not caked in mud
Fan the viscous units fail but can be rebuilt using a fan oil from BNT It takes a full day to drain the old oil out.
Timing out This is one for the experts to check
jammed thermostat
Bad injectors
bad turbo
blocked exhaust
My bighorn used to overheat slightly even after checking all of this Turned out the previous owner had fitted a single core radiator which was half caked in mud. Fitted a 2 core and instantly found my thermostat was jammed open so it never even got warm unless climbing a hill Now the temp never moves
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Renier » Wed May 23, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks for the reply I'll start with tge radiator since I've been mudding but the problem started well before that I've done a tgermostat so maby ill be checking the fan next fan next turbo seems fine spools to 12psi at 2500rpm not sure what normal spool rate is but seems fine
Renier
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed May 23, 2018 2:58 pm

turbo sounds fine
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby fujitsubo » Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 pm

If it's auto,check fluid/fit trans cooler, makes a big difference to engine temp on long hills if radiator doesn't have to work so hard cooling the trans oil as well.
I also found good secondhand factory rads are far more efficient than most of the new copied radiators from the likes of trademe etc.
fujitsubo
Isuzu Baby

City: top of south
Vehicle: bighorn 3.1

Postby tonkamu » Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Do they copy brass rads? The alloy replacements are better cooling than the brass one's I reckon, Only 250 bucks for a new alloy rad.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby geeves » Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Brass radiators are only available second hand unless you have very deep pockets. If in good condition they do cool better but not by enough to notice. The big advantage is that you can repair them on the side of the track. In saying that though most brass radiators Ive seen lately have had the fins corroded away so are next to useless. With alloy radiators its normally the plastic tanks that give up often catastrophically. You can get alloy tank radiators but they are nearly as expensive as the brass ones
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Renier » Fri May 25, 2018 2:39 pm

It's an auto I have been checking the auto fluid it's red and at a good level will be getting a cooler for that but was just holding off cos I would of thought it can cope with the rad cooler the previous owner has had the rad done with a what looks like 2 core rad from petone radiators would of though they would know what to fit it was prety blocked with mud but again it started before I took it for a mud bath :)
Renier
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 pm

How easy is it to turn the fan? Try hot and cold
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Renier » Fri May 25, 2018 4:02 pm

When it's cold it's easy enough when warm it's easy azzz just checked that after fitting the rad I checked it while the engine was not running correct me if I'm wrong but that fan shuld be hard to turn when it's warm?
Renier
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat May 26, 2018 6:46 am

I think thats your problem.
You have 5 options
New fan from dealer or auto parts store Expect $400ish
New fan unit from ebay etc Expect about $50ish but could have fun getting the bolt holes for the blades to fit
Second hand fan from wrecker or picapart. I know Surf ones also fit and II think pajero also fit Under $100
Replace the fluid in your fan unit. BNT are the only place I know that sells this and last time I did one was $40 Its a slow messy job though. The old oil takes 24 hours to drain out of both halves.
I do have a rebuilt unit here you can have for free but it has a broken fan blade so will have to fit your fan. If it fits you can have it for free. I will send you a pm with details to pick up
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Renier » Tue May 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks so much for tge fan unit geeves that fan unit seems to have made the difference :) being intermittant I hape it doesn't return thanks for your help :)
Renier
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue May 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Glad to know it helped. The chocolate was nice
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine