• Advertisement

4jg2t water leaking from head gasket.

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4jg2t water leaking from head gasket.

Postby rustyvr4 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:58 pm

well since adding anti freeze to my system nearly 2 months ago. what hasnt failed. new water pump done. new water hoses to an from turbo. top an bottom rad hoses. heater hoses done. reversed flushed both radiator an heater core, which i must say greatly improved the heater. in general the water is cold by the time it gets to bottom of radiator after an hour open road driving. temp needle has never gone above half way. even in summer half hour sitting in traffic. I noticed last week water coming from the head gasket, under intake manifold side of motor. between 1 an 2 piston, and between 3 an 4. i tryed some head gasket repair radiator additive, 70 odd bucks wasted, an this hasnt worked only blocked heater an radiator all up again. head has never been off the motor. so questions are this. should i even try to torque the head bolts to see if this stops the issue? given that i believe i,ll be needing new hew gasket. i can see the 3 holes in the side of gasket indiacateing that it is 1.70mm. are there any issues with using a the 1.60mm gasket?
No officer i wasn,t slideways i think you was seeing things sir
rustyvr4
Isuzu Baby

City: tauranga
Vehicle: 1996 mu 3.1 turbo MANUAL, running 20psi. fuel maxed out. air adjustable shocks in rear. gas struts on bonnet

Re: 4jg2t water leaking from head gasket.

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:18 pm

when you changed the heater hoses did you replace the 2 that run on top of the head just above the inlet manifold? Did you change the spring clamps to proper screww ones?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby rustyvr4 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:04 am

i did replace both hoses that run from the head to the steel pipes, that go past inlet manifold. and both that go down to heater core. yes to screw clamps all round. and both top an bottom radiator hoses, also screw clamps. yesterday i again pulled radiator out, flushed it, and heater core flushed again. refitted an filled just with water. seems i have saved both from the additive that blocked them up. as heater again works so bad arse hot. an radiator got hot across an down the whole core. run for half hour at 2k rpm no fans just sitting on drive way. thermostat opens an closes as should. didnt seem to bubble up top radiator hose. still got water showing up from gasket by 3-4 piston tho. Are there any issues with using the 1.60mm or 1.65mm gaskets? thank you Geeves for your time and help, as always the man.
rustyvr4
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 1996 mu 3.1 turbo MANUAL, running 20psi. fuel maxed out. air adjustable shocks in rear. gas struts on bonnet

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:44 am

are you certain its not coming from above the gasket? If its coming from the gasket it starts as a big repair with a chance of escalation. Head gasket set will cost a couple hundred plus the same or more in labour if you cant do it yourself. Then you will want to crack test the head as they do fail which cost me 160 on the wizard. If the head is suspect mine cost 1600 for a non genuine new.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby rustyvr4 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:56 am

always seems to be this spot along gasket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rustyvr4
Isuzu Baby

Postby rustyvr4 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:58 am

i have pdf file for isuzu 4j series engines. and have done head gaskets before. so willing to do job myself
rustyvr4
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:17 pm

i will let the actual mechanics here advise on this one
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudslinger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:34 pm

i would do a pressure test on the coolant system with engine off and have a proper look. i find that once water has been used for along time especially by previous owners, you do the right thing and use anti freeze only to find it the next morning on the driveway from the water pump or some other weird place :lol:
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 91 mu 2.8TD manual

Return to Engine