• Advertisement

Looking for collective wisdom on my 4ZE1

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Looking for collective wisdom on my 4ZE1

Postby davidelliott300361 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:42 am

Hi All,
Thanks for taking the time...The story so far
Had a 1989 cab chassis with a great engine but the body was more not there than there. Biggest problem was at the top of the windscreen. Rain = Waterfall
Sourced a great 1994 body with a cooked engine and did the swap.
Kept all the inlet and exhaust from the later ute. It was 5 years younger and many many k's less.
Went together as it should, fairly straightforward.
But I must be missing something. The idle screw at the top of the throttle body has to be screwed nearly all the way down from where it was on the old ute to get the idle right. Runs and idles great, pulls well.
Symptoms: 18l per 100 ks. (Used to be 10/11, sometimes around 9 if unladen). Running really rich, black sooty exhaust and you can smell it. No sense that the "cold start" system is working. Starts and idles the same hot or cold.
I suspect that screwing the idle screw in is masking something else.
So far I have pulled and cleaned the Idle Air Controller and checked it's operation, checked and tested the Temperature sender for the ECU and made sure signal is getting to the ECU. Cleaned the MAF.
Put clamps on pretty much every vacuum hose I can find.
Clamping any hose with a pair of pliers makes no difference.
I did put in a new temp sender for the gauge, as it never went above 1/4 even when I covered the radiator, now it goes further, but yesterday even with the entire front of the radiator covered I could net get any further that just around 1/2.

Appreciate any and all suggestions. It's just our firewood and markets and work type ute, not a daily driver. But 18l per 100 is not a workable position.
davidelliott300361
I'm only here for the information

City: Jarrahdale
Vehicle: 1994 Rodeo 4x4 cab chassis

Return to Engine