• Advertisement

Switching engine ECU

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Switching engine ECU

Postby simon12 » Fri May 15, 2009 6:22 am

Hi all,

I have a 1997 isuzu bighorn irmscher; 3.1 TD Automatic; 4JG2 engine.

My engine ECU came into contact with water via a flood. I immediately removed and serviced with quick Contact cleaner. After servicing it worked well, I then performed a manual diagnostic test and came up with the following codes 21, 31, 35 and 36. I then tried to clear the codes by disconnecting negative batter pole for 1 minute and then 24 hrs but This did not work. I then decided to trouble shoot codes 21 to see if it would go but i found notting to be wrong with accelerator sensor position all readng were found to be within range.

I believe that the water may have messed up the ECU.

I would like however to switch the engine ECU with that of a 1997 isuzu bighorn plaisiar 3.1 TD 4JG2 engine Automatic. MY major concern is that this ECU might require reprogramming and i unfortunately do not have access to the Tech 1 scan tool.

What should i do ?
simon12
I'm only here for the information

City: San Fernando
Vehicle: 97 Isuzu bighorn Irmscher

Re: Switching engine ECU

Postby geeves » Fri May 15, 2009 8:55 am

They should be the same so all should be easy but I cant garantee this. It will at least prove that the codes are the fault of the ecu and not wireing or sensors. If a flood got the ecu it could easily of damaged wireing etc.
Over here cars that have been flooded get written off by the insurance company without furthur inspection as many faults dont show up for weeks or months or more so what looks like a simple fix results in add on after add on to the original claim
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby simon12 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:33 pm

What about reprogramming will i have to do it ?
simon12
I'm only here for the information

City: San Fernando
Vehicle: 97 Isuzu bighorn Irmscher

Postby geeves » Fri May 15, 2009 2:39 pm

dont think so but not sure
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine