• Advertisement

4ze1 1988 Jackaroo

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4ze1 1988 Jackaroo

Postby KirkW » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi all

I'm hoping for some help in case I've missed something obvious.

Car details:
1988 Holden Jackaroo
Automatic

Issue:
Engine started cutting out as if the ignition was turned off. Was intermittent at first and the car either started straight up after stalling or would start firing again while rolling. Now car will start and idle/ drive for possibly 5 minutes before stalling. Car will not restart until left sitting for a while. It seems similar to a flooded carby in terms of restarting.

There is no stuttering, loss of power, any sign something is wrong. It just turns off.

What I've checked:
Replaced: Fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, everything spark related. Recently addressed vacuum leaks.
Checked: When car won't start it still has spark and injectors are pulsing. Fuel return line isn't blocked, fuel is passing through the fuel pressure reg. Checked for error codes and nothing shows. I jumped the fuel pump wiring to make sure it was on and not a faulty relay.

Thoughts:
As it stalls like the ignition has been cut my first thought was electrical, but I can't find a fault.
Fuel seems to have good pressure.

Everything seems to be working as intended. I'm at a loss as to what to check next?

Thanks in advance :)
KirkW
Isuzu Baby

City: Adelaide
Vehicle: 1988 Holden Jackaroo/ Isuzu Trooper

Re: 4ze1 1988 Jackaroo

Postby geeves » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:59 pm

My thought is electrical as well. When it is not firing try putting a timing light on it to see iff the spark is at the right time
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby KirkW » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:26 pm

My timing marks are way out (I suspect someone has had the pulley off), but it's been running fine where it is currently set.

Doesn't make sense that it would suddenly not run if it was timing related?

Usually I can track things back but this has me stumped, may be time to tow it to a professional.
KirkW
Isuzu Baby

Postby KirkW » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:35 pm

Only other thing I can think of is it was leaking oil from the distributor o-ring. Any possibility oil could have damaged the dizzy? Again, there is still spark. This is a on/off situation, no other signs of running poorly.
KirkW
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine