• Advertisement

4jb1-t mechanical failure

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4jb1-t mechanical failure

Postby Lagwagoning » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:46 pm

Hi.
The vehicle is an old farm ute that has had a rough life, 300 odd k's.
Been hauling a fire fighting unit, not getting used much.
Driving 20km/hr unladen something went crunch/clunk/grind etc.. under the bonnet. Vehicle lost all power and would only idle very rough and stall.

Walked away from it in a rage and revisited again in 2 days. Started fine, idled normal then after about 20 seconds bogged down again, rough as all buggery, and stalled.
Really seemed like a fueling issue so pulled the filter and my goodness ive never seen so much crap in a cup of diesel in my whole life not to mention the very cloudy colour of the fuel.
I suspect over its life the tank has never been cleaned out and sitting idle for long periods has gathered a fair bit of moisture from condensation.
Threw a new filter on and no change, rough as, will only stay running (just) if pumping the accelerator.
I then made up a little fuel reservoir bypassing the filter so only clean fuel getting and no change so its not the fuel.

Engine doesnt blow any smoke, no oil leaks or weird sounds when running so im thinking its the fuel pump.
Anyone have any ideas as to where to start?

Thanks
Lagwagoning
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: 2001 2.8 Rodeo

Re: 4jb1-t mechanical failure

Postby isuzurob » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:53 am

Pull the feed banjo out of the injector pump and the return, both should have little gauzes in them, see if there full of rubbish clean them out and give it a try
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:58 pm

sounds like diesel bug. If those meshes are dirty dump the fuel and put diesel bug killer in the next tank full. Not sure how to clean the rest of the system
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Lagwagoning » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:15 pm

I pulled both banjo bolts out, didn’t see any mesh in there. How big are they? Does anyone have a photo of what they look like?
Lagwagoning
Isuzu Baby

Postby Lagwagoning » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:49 pm

Yep no gauze in these pumps, pulled an old one I had apart and nothing.
Ive pulled every line I could off the pump and blown out with carby cleaner and all the ports on the pump I could get too. Seems to have done the trick however will only know for sure once the tank is flushed and lines purged.
Lagwagoning
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine