• Advertisement

4FG1 black smoke and noisy clatter

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4FG1 black smoke and noisy clatter

Postby TinyRVliving » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:01 am

Hello!

My wife and I finally took hold of our Isuzu Fargo camper about a month ago after it spent some time at the mechanic. 2.4L 4FG1 non-turbo engine. 5-speed. 154,000km.

We took it on 300km round trip yesterday to see how it traveled at higher speeds and for long periods of time.

A few things to consider:

1. The engine is noisy as all get out! It sounds very clattery at higher RPMs. Just super loud in general. It is a cab-over design so I realize we're right over the engine. But man, at around 60mph it's quite deafening. I was wearing ear plugs!!

2. Valve clearances were checked and effectively spot on, if a little tight (by a few 10ths of a millimeter).

3. At about half throttle and deeper, it's emitting black smoke. Full throttle makes me feel like those folk who roll coal (okay, it's not THAT much smoke). I get it...old diesel without a turbo! But I think something can be done? And maybe it suggests my fuel efficiency isn't so good. I don't see white smoke, and it doesn't appear to be burning oil.

4. I had the timing belt, pulleys, water pump, and front seals done within the last month.

5. I just changed the oil with 10-30W T5, and the air filter is new.

6. I think we got a little over 20mpg (8.5km/l) on the drive, doing about 100km/h (at a really high RPM I think...).

7. Fuel filter is probably needing a change. I haven't done it yet. Too scared of cracking old plastics haha!.d

My questions:

1. Where on the injection pump is this "smoke screw" I've heard of. Or what else can I tweak to try to reduce smoke. I know it's a bit of a black hole when dealing with fuel screws. If there's a specific screw, what direction to turn, and how much should I tweak it each time to experiment? Can I do it while the engine is running?

2. Thoughts on the clattery noise? I don't think it's like a loose accessory or something else. It sounds like valve train noise. Again, my mechanic who only does diesels re-did the timing from scratch and confirmed valve clearance at TDC to make sure nothing was impacting the valves. So...he "gets" it, you know? Is this just a loud engine? I might take it back to him to give it a once over.

3. I can barely do 100km on flat without redlining/almost full throttle. More like 80km/h. It's asking a lot. This vehicle probably weights 5-6000lb though. I guess that's something to just accept?

Here's a pic for your troubles!
IMG_20200614_120938926_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TinyRVliving
I'm only here for the information

City: Madison
Vehicle: Isuzu Fargo camper 2.4L 4FG1 diesel

Re: 4FG1 black smoke and noisy clatter

Postby TinyRVliving » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:42 am

I made a video of the engine at cold start. An Isuzu Fargo enthusiast I know suggested it was noisy tappets. How can that be addressed? Valve clearance? I know the clearances were good (if a little tight, by 0.5mm) according to my mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJkqCPaPsOU
TinyRVliving
I'm only here for the information

City: Madison
Vehicle: Isuzu Fargo camper 2.4L 4FG1 diesel

Postby pig75 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:50 am

That sounds normal to me
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:56 am

Diesel knock is meant to sound like that. Its normal
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine