• Advertisement

Towing a caravan

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Towing a caravan

Postby Itstime » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:18 am

Hi guys,

I have recently bought a Liteweight caravan and have pulled it with my 96 Bighorn (4JG2 all factory).

The caravan is about 1.4t max.

My Bighorn really struggled to hold speed on the slightest hill unless I really kicked down which apparently I won't do on a longer distance.

I was always wondering even without towing, uphill the vehicle is unusually slow. And when you are on a straight road driving 80 kph and want to accelerate moderate, it will shift back rather than stay in the high gear and get faster. Lack of grunt??
I have only 270k on the clock.
I recently have seen a Bighorn pulling up a trailer with a car up the Kaimais without hassle. I was impressed.

Is it just the age of my vehicle? Engine worn?

There is one thing that comes in my mind. My turbo seems to work fine according to the acoustics. But when I go off the throttle I notice a slight noise as if sucking in air through a tiny hole. That makes me wonder if it is a problem with the turbo (housing, hose, ....???) that makes the engine a bit week?

With this status quo no chance I can pull my caravan around East Cape or a similar trip.

Any ideas / thoughts / experiences?

Cheers

Markus
Itstime
Isuzu Baby

City: Tauranga
Vehicle: Bighorn 96

Re: Towing a caravan

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 pm

TPS adjustment might fix the changdown issue. A boost guage will show how the turbo is working. A diesel pump tweek may be in order. Some bighorns were tuned low. Mine is also like that
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Itstime » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:38 am

Thanks geeves,

TPS is the first I'll try.

Is it loosening the two screws that hold the sensor (mounted by the pedal) and moving the sensor slightly anti-clockwise?

Thanks.
Itstime
Isuzu Baby

Postby Itstime » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:19 am

Hi,

In case I need to replace my TPS, what are your experiences with aftermarket ones, e.g.:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/holden/electrics/listing/3045611739?bof=CLa3Nd8m

Is it worth it or is it crab and better get a good 2nd hand one from someone who is wrecking a Bighorn?

Cheers
Itstime
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine