• Advertisement

Hard to start, share and ask.

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Hard to start, share and ask.

Postby bongli » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:50 pm

Hello Folks,

I would like to share what I have learned today regarding hard starting 92 Bighorn. The symptom was I could hear the starting relay click every time I start my car. The starter motor would not turn on the first try, after 3 or 4 attempts the starter would turn but not enough to start the engine. I replaced the battery, starting relay, and cleaned and replaced the carbon brushes on the starter motor I also checked the solenoid. I did not found anything unusual on the continuity checks of all wires from the steering column to the start relay up to the starter.

I tried to use a jumper wire on the white/black and black/white contacts of the key switch. The engine started very good. I removed the end of the key switch which was only held by one small screw. I cleaned the contacts and after that the engine starts very good on the first attempt every time. After plenty nicks on my hand and a very hard of work to remove and replace the starter motor, its a little frustrating that the solution was only a piece of sandpaper and 20 minutes of my time. Anyway, looking on the bright side the starter motor was very dirty inside and the carbon brushes needs to be changed anyway.

Now, I have a new problem every time the oil pressure gauge goes to maximum when I switch ON the key. Can someone tell me the location of the oil pressure sending unit, a picture will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
bongli
Isuzu Baby

City: valenzuela
Vehicle: '92 Isuzu Big Horn 3.1T intercooler AT

Re: Hard to start, share and ask.

Postby isuzurob » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:23 am

its right behind the starter motor on the side of the block
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby HarryVL » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:44 pm

When you took the starter out did you disconnect the wires from the oil pressure sender and oil pressure light sender.One is directly below the other.It sounds like the two wires have been reversed.Harry.
HarryVL
Isuzu Baby

City: TIRAU
Vehicle: 1995 Bighorn road truck.1989 Bighorn bush truck

Postby gmatongo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:18 am

Hi!
I have an isuzu 2002 4jx1 engine that has a rough idle. I have also noticed an incease in oil level. What is causing this? Recently the car just lost drive while and we removed the gearbox, we noticed that the fly wheel is in two pieces and the outer piece is turning freely. What could have caused this and how do I rectify it?

Thanking you for the assistance
G Matongo
gmatongo
I'm only here for the information

City: harare
Vehicle: Isuzu trooper 3.0D DOHC 2002

Postby geeves » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:42 am

4jx1 increaseing oil level is diesel leaking past the o rings in the injectors. Not a nice fix
Only fix for fly wheel is a new one
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby bongli » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks for the info, the plug for the oil pressure sender was accidentally taken off when we took off the starter. Now its working fine.
bongli
Isuzu Baby

City: valenzuela
Vehicle: '92 Isuzu Big Horn 3.1T intercooler AT

Return to Electrical