• Advertisement

check TOD light

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

check TOD light

Postby fred78 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi
I am having problems with the check TOD light flashing intermittantly on my V6 wizard. When it does I can get into 4H but not 4L. I have tried getting the fault code but apart from the usual code 12 all I get is a series of 5 flashes for which I can find no reference (it could be code 5 or code 50? ). Anyone got any ideas what the problem could be? :?:
fred78
Isuzu Baby

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Isuzu Wizard

Re: check TOD light

Postby fred78 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi again
I rechecked the flash codes again today and I now think the series of 5 flashes I'm getting could be code 55. However, I can't find anything relating to the TOD for this code either. Still hopeful that someone will have an idea or suggestion as I'm at a dead end :D
fred78
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:57 pm

what model wizard?
is it tod or sotf?
If push button 4wd the gearbox ecu sends a request to the front diff to activate the axle lock (left hand side of diff) This activates then informs the ecu that it is active then the transfer is allowed to go into 4wd.
A fault in the vacumme lines or wiring to the front diff can cause this
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby fred78 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks Geeves.
I can't get a model number as most of the labels are in Japanese. It's a year 2000 V6 which is about all I can tell you. I believe it is TOD rather than SOFT as that is what's on a label on the transfer case. There are no vacuum lines to the front axle that I could see so can I presume the axle lock mechanism is electrically activated? To check the wiring I presume I need to find the gearbox ecu and then continuity test each wire that goes to the diff? Or is there some way of doing it by pulling the connector off the diff and checking voltage readings?
Thanks again for the help. :D
fred78
Isuzu Baby

Postby fred78 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Hi again
If it helps at all the 4WD switch is a rotating one not push button. Also I can SOFT into 4H with this system
fred78
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:02 pm

From the manual I have which you can download from http://www.mediafire.com/?2g2hc1kzeyend section 4b2 I found the following

toddiag.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby fred78 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks Geeves. I'll check that out and let you know
fred78
Isuzu Baby

Postby fred78 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Well I think I have finally fixed it. After checking all the wires and connectors and wondering how to check the sensor I found this page on a Ford forum site (http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/ ... tcase.html). Using this info I narrowed the problem to the sensor and took it apart. Cleaned out a lot of gunk and put it back together. That worked for a while but the problem returned. Took it apart again and bent the brass contacts up a bit so that they made a firmer contact with the circuit board. This seems to have done the job as I have had no further problems.
fred78
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:49 pm

A solution found which is good but please dont read the following.

finding info on a ford forum about an Isuzu :o :? :? :? :x :evil: :evil: :twisted:

At least you fessed up so can be forgiven but a fitting penance would be to take you next family camping holiday in a rented Ford Fiesta (no roofrack or trailer) to remind yourself how much better Isuzus are
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby fred78 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:53 am

In my defence Ihad to look at a ford site because they break down more often than Isuzus!!!
fred78
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:55 pm

Chances are they use much the same Assin Warner box and transfer just with a different name on the feature although reading that document it sounded like they were just talking abount ecu activated 4wd not tod although the hardware is the same. If its fixed why not but still remember the Ford Fiesta camping holiday. Let your kids bring a friend as well Im sure there is room.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Electrical