• Advertisement

Trooper headlights

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Trooper headlights

Postby tomiasorensen » Tue May 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Hello all, My first post and indeed my first 4x4. I have recently moved to spend two years in Cameroon Africa and bought a trooper, after much advice, to take with me. It is a US import 3.5L and seems pretty good. There were many reasons for choosing that car for this country that i wont bore you with now.
I do have a problem with it. The headlights are very dim, they dip and main just fine but really cant see much. There is also a faulty connection somewhere causing one or both of them to go out.
It may be the bulbs and that is being looked at, buying bulbs here is not jsut a case of popping to unipart. I suspect though it might be an earth. Does anyoen know where the earth for the lights is?
Or does anyone have any other ideas. It did occur to me that maybe US cars have some headlight restriction on them, as i drove a friends Dodge Ram and it too had awful lights.

Many thanks

Tom
tomiasorensen
Isuzu Baby

City: Yaounde
Vehicle: Isuzu Trooper 3.5L 1998

Re: Trooper headlights

Postby Pissy » Wed May 20, 2009 8:38 am

Sorry I can't help you much here (as I don't know much,...LOL) but have you thought of getting the wiring loom redone. You can order kits that places all your old wires with thicker ones giving you a brighter set of lights. Try looking at this link http://piranhaoffroad.com.au/index.php/ ... /dl-4.html for the super loom kit as an example. Maybe there something similar in your area/country,. can be a bit expensive though ?

Best of luck
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby tomiasorensen » Wed May 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Hmmm interesting idea. I may have to apply the african technique of simplifying it but it coudl be worth a try. I guess just doubling up the connections with some nice thick wire woudl have the same effect.

Getting something like that here is impossible.... getting bulbs is tricky enough!
But thanks, good diea. Love the mad truck by the way.

T
tomiasorensen
Isuzu Baby

City: Yaounde
Vehicle: Isuzu Trooper 3.5L 1998

Postby Pissy » Wed May 20, 2009 6:57 pm

One thing I did forget to mention was to try using a volt meter on the positive points before it goes into the headlight plugs. At least this way you'll be to tell if its the power shorting/cutting in out or if its the bulbs, plus you can see if you have a voltage drop issue which causes dim lights as well.

I'd give this a go before you go and rip wires out or buy anything.

Cheers
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Return to Electrical