• Advertisement

Frontera vs. Bighorn ECU hookup

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Frontera vs. Bighorn ECU hookup

Postby rapidgeo » Mon May 31, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi,

I have a Holden (Isuzu) Frontera 1999 V6 3.2L DOHC 6VD1 - the engine died and i replaced it with a Isuzu Bighorn V6 3.2L DOHC 6VD1. All engine and mechanics are done - i am now trying to hook up the ECU's to get it started.

The inlet manifolds and heads are different from the Frontera to the Bighorn 6VD1's. the injectors look to be different too (at least the connectors are) and the ignition system is completely different... The ignition coils on the 1999 holden frontera are all little units on the ends of the spark lead stalks sitting on the rocker covers whereas the ignition coils for the bighorn are a separate ignition unit - similar to other holden/isuzu v6's i have seen.

So as far as hooking up the ECU's to get the thing started i have three options (as i see it)

1. try to join the dots between the Bighorn engine harness and the Frontera engine bay wiring harness: 3 plugs, this assumes that the Frontera ECU will have the same ignition cycle etc to drive the different ignition and injectors - unlikely..

2. try to remove the inlet manifold, fuel rail, injectors etc from the bighorn and replace with the Frontera inlet manifold: this assumes that the inlet manifold connection to the heads are the same and injector diameters are the same - unlikely as i can see the heads are definitely different for exposed parts of both engines - the inlet manifolds hide a full visual confirmation but still unlikely.

3. try to get the Bighorn ECU connected to the Bighorn engine harness so the car can start: seems the only way for me to go. I have tried to separate as much of the Bighorn ECU wiring harness from the rest of the front cut wiring harness so that it is jut the ECU connections left. It is messy and scary but i cant see any other way to get this thing started.

so, it looks like door number three is my only option - any help or comments are appreciated - especially if you have an Isuzu Bighorn ECU electrics diagram...
rapidgeo
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: 1999 Holden Frontera SE

Re: Frontera vs. Bighorn ECU hookup

Postby geeves » Mon May 31, 2010 3:41 pm

option 2 but swap heads as well?
I would still worry that the pistons might be different on top as well but it would be the easiest if it works but cost 2 head gaskets if it doesnt
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby rapidgeo » Mon May 31, 2010 6:30 pm

i should have said that the engine died because the right bank cams locked solid... so original heads are dead...

i cant do a wrong door joke as i didnt explain the rules to that very well :)
rapidgeo
Isuzu Baby

Postby rapidgeo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi,

I have resorted to taking my frontera to an auto electrician to finish off the engine replacement i did.

I put a Bighorn DOHC 6VD1 into my Frontera but the new (old) 6VD1 engine it is the older ignition coil pack version not ignition coils on the spark plug stalks.

Problem now is they cant get the ECU to run - do these ECU's have security like an immobiliser in key or something? i didnt think its of the right vintage to have any security.

baz.
rapidgeo
Isuzu Baby

Return to Electrical