• Advertisement

Fuses

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Fuses

Postby baboon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi all,
I have been lurking around this site since I bought my '91 mu about 2 months ago. You guys are a wealth of information and seem very willing to help newbies like me.
My problem is: I have 2 cig lighter outlets in my mu, one set in the dash above the rear demister switch and the other in the normal position next to the ashtray. The one in the dash has never had power and the one next to the ashtray stopped working when I tried to run a rotating beakon light at work. I have checked the fuses under the dash and those in the engine bay relay box, but none appear to be blown. My question is, are there any other fuses hidden away in some obscure spot or can someone shed some light on where my problem may be.

Thanks heaps, Brett.
baboon
I'm only here for the information

City: sydney
Vehicle: MU

Re: Fuses

Postby turnturn » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm

Some one may have added another fuse somewhere when fitting the second outlet?
Does the factory fuse for the cigarette lighter power anything else? If so, is this object still functioning?
Can you see any other non-original fuses under the bonnet or dash?
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby baboon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Yeah Mate, very confusing. The factory fuse for the cig lighter powers the radio. when I pull the fuse the radio stops playing so that fuse is good. Butttttt.......?
baboon
I'm only here for the information

City: sydney
Vehicle: MU

Postby wbski007 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:46 pm

could be the lighter socket took a dump, or the contact point is coroeded, mine was acting up so I pulled the fuse and cleaned the contact point in the center with a flat head screw driver the best I could, replaced the fuse and it works fine now.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby isuzumudman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:45 am

Have repaired one once which had a fusible link in the base of the socket. Had power to the connector but nothing at the pin. Soldered a replacement wire on and all fine now.
isuzumudman
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 1994

Postby daone » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:42 pm

If problem still not fixed, arrange a acc positive from your ignition key assembly and put a 10A fuse in the line. If it powers up then done. otherwise connect a new earth wire on the lighter socket to vehicle body. This is the easiest way.
daone
Isuzu Junior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 4JB1T MANUAL MU

Return to Electrical