• Advertisement

MU..Factory dual batteries??

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

MU..Factory dual batteries??

Postby MattWest » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi Guys, have searched around and can couldnt come up with much. Just wondered if you guys knew about the MU coming with factory dual batteries? Mine seems to have these, all original. Just seemed a bit strnage as everyine seems to have to add this to their truck.

Does anyone know how they set these up? As in, are the in series or is there a dedicated start and 'house' battery??

Cheers
Matt
MattWest
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 95 Mu

Re: MU..Factory dual batteries??

Postby Blondini » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:54 pm

positive to positive, negative to negative = 12volt.. In series will give you 24volt (Not Good 4 The MU)
Blondini
Isuzu Senior

City: Papamoa Tauranga
Vehicle: 93 ISUZU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL AND HANKOOK RT03 265/75/16 (32") MUD TYRES.

Postby dasnoboarder » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Never seen a factory dual battery setup for the MU or bighorn. Could just be a very neat install.

Could you post a pic of the isolator?
If it has one it will be in the somewhere in the line between the positive of the main battery and the positive of the aux battery.

The batteries would be in parallel, so the system will still be 12V, just larger capacity.

Andy
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby muzila » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Yup a limited amount of MU's came out with a factory dual battery set up in them. I read it in a list of differant details that was available in Japan a while ago. Some had diff locks as well. There where other funny stuff out of the factory as well. I can't find the website anymore but it was supose to be an official options list. Tracks where played with many years ago as well. There is a pic and discusion about them somewhere on this forum about that option.

I might add that I have never seen any of them but I would love to see how they set it up.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby MattWest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:41 pm

So, here we go....definitley a factory setup..Must be my lucky day huh?.. Oh and I will have a look for the isolator....

MattWest
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:34 pm

There is no isolator on the factory setup. Its a cold climate package so if you have it your mu came from northern japan
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby MattWest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:43 pm

geeves wrote:There is no isolator on the factory setup. Its a cold climate package so if you have it your mu came from northern japan

Interesting.. Thanks
MattWest
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzumudman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:45 pm

I'll go with Jeeves on that. My Bighorn had factory dual batteries with the second battery positive lead going straight off to the starter motor solenoid terminal thus providing a simple parallel battery system.
I decided to fit a Pirhana dual battery controller with a deep cycle battery. After that the main battery wouldn't turn the beast over. I compared with a single battery model and found that mine had thinner battery cables! Fitted new fat cables and all is now good and has been for about a year now.
isuzumudman
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 1994

Return to Electrical