• Advertisement

I think my alternator is stuffed

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

I think my alternator is stuffed

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:06 pm

I've been having a few charging issues latley that Ive been putting down to a bad fan belt especially when I flipped it the other day (sudden high revs getting out of a deep hole) What I have noticed is that i cant use as many electrics at idle as I used to. For example getting the cows in in the morning. Headlights demister radio and spots used too be ok around the paddock (a few revs on) and marginal once in the race (idle in low 4x4) This is looking at the in dash voltmeter. Latley once at idle headlights and radio only please. Then on the way home my charge light came on. Have checked all fuses and relays as best I can and trying to remember how we used to check alternators put an ammeter between the main wire and alternator (nothing happened). a mate sugested firing up then disconnecting the battery if it dies the alternator is buggered (like me he last checked an alternator about 15 years ago)This is in a 2.6 non efi petrol rodeo by the way Thanks for any suggestions
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: I think my alternator is stuffed

Postby pig75 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:20 pm

I would say the brushes are worn out
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby 98Rodeo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:30 pm

they could also be stuck or one could be broken, is the regulator removable on these alternators?
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

City: Perth
Vehicle: 98 Turbo Diesel Rodeo Dual Cab

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Dont try that test on any alternator. It was fine on generators but can blow the regulator on alternators.
Sounds like time for a brushes and slip rings clean and if still no good time for a new diode pack.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks for your thoughts all ;) Regulator is built in Thanks Geeves relised that it would have been the old seperate regulator ones we used to do that on. :oops: Got the old one out tonight and it didnt look pretty -full of rubbish and wouldnt turn by hand very easily. Ive found a reconned one at the wrecker. Customer had his rebuilt (by auto electrician in New Plymouth -got the reciepts still in glove box) and wrote off his wagon the next day. I didnt think that $170 was too bad (he says hopefully :? ) Also found the exhaust leak the exhaust gasket is had it and managed to burn myself on the headers undoing the studs. For those who are wondering why I loosened the nuts while hot it reduces the chance of snapping the studs
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Lots of swear words were used today. I drove an hour into New Plymouth only to find that the alternator was the wrong one and he had forgotten to order my exhaust gaskets. sigh
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:30 pm

All fixed I found a new wrecker locally (15min away) who wrecks anything and thinks laterally. I took my alternator to him and he went to his shelf of nippondenso alternators (mainly honda and toyota) we found the closest match and it works better than the original. Fortunately the honda label is underneath
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Return to Electrical