• Advertisement

lights alarm change needed

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

lights alarm change needed

Postby menumorut » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi,
can anyone provide some info on how i can make the headlights/park-lights alarm turn on immediately after i take the key out of the contact. I have a turbo timer on my '96 MU and apparently the alarm is only triggered if the engine is stopped. Already happened to me twice to get off the car and walk away, only to find myself with a dead battery when returning a couple hours later.
i am going to have a better look in all the isuzu docs i have in the weekend (no luck so far), but if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.
cheers
menumorut
Isuzu Baby

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu

Re: lights alarm change needed

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Most cars its taken from the charge relay so if the engine is running the alarm wont be. Could be a major to rewire
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby muzila » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Unless the alarm has an auto turbo setting its a real PITA to get to work right. It can be done but its a lot of work.

Personal opinion start.....

I find turbo timers to be a complete waste of time and money. If your driving around town you never get your engine that hot to warrent a 1, 2, or 3 minite count down. (Just wasting gas).
If doing highway or open road driving you usually have to slow down to slower speeds when getting to your destination and that is usually enought to bring the engine temp down. And most big truck manufacturers are now moving away from turbo timers as they are not efficant and have been known to increase engine damage. I.E oil pumps not good enuff at slow revs and then ideling while starving the engine of oil. Most company drivers dont look for that sort of thing.

Oh and did I mention they kan be a right PITA with a lots of alarm installs. :)

..... End of personal opinion.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:44 am

I agree. The book says a 1 minute winddown is needed after sustained 100kph or 3 minutes after hard work but how often are you doing this right before you stop. I have a turbo timer but the button broke 5 years ago and has never been fixed. Just keep these numbers in mind when stopping and you have no problems
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby pig75 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:22 am

menumorut wrote:Hi,
can anyone provide some info on how i can make the headlights/park-lights alarm turn on immediately after i take the key out of the contact. I have a turbo timer on my '96 MU and apparently the alarm is only triggered if the engine is stopped. Already happened to me twice to get off the car and walk away, only to find myself with a dead battery when returning a couple hours later.
i am going to have a better look in all the isuzu docs i have in the weekend (no luck so far), but if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.
cheers

I don't understand why you need your head/park lights to turn on after you take the key out :?
My alarm and turbo timer work happy together. All i did was put a relay with a delay on the shock sensor so while the timer is on the shock sensor is disabled and when the turbo timer turns off the shock sensor turns on after 5 seconds.
My other Mu has a electronic exhaust temp gauge witch i use as a turbo timer. The motor won't shut down until it has reached 200deg c. Around town it never stays above that but going to work it will and idle for between 2 & 4 minutes
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby Yarno » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:19 am

Does the door light come on when you open the door, this is what triggers the lights on alarm.
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby muzila » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:04 am

Some alarms also have imobilisers that shut the engine down in differant ways as well. My alarm has 3 imobilisers built in. Thats a pain just by its self.
It really all depends on the alarm I guess. Some are easy installs others can be just plain obnoctious.
muzila
Site Admin

Postby Yarno » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:20 pm

I don't think they have an aftermarket alarm, what they are talking about is the warning that you have left your headlights on buzzer, and because of the turbo timer it doesn't sound until the engine is off minutes after you have left the car, then the battery goes flat...
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby muzila » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:03 pm

AAHHH now that makes sence. Interesting problem. Not one I have come across before. Need to think about that one for a bit.
muzila
Site Admin

Postby menumorut » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:11 pm

yeah, yarno got it right...sorry english not my mother tongue...:)
as geeves suggested it might be a bit of work to solve it and my starter engine just died this afternoon so this will have to wait...
re the turbo timer, I keep it on 30 seconds while in the city and set it to 1 minute only for roadtrips. except for the lights warning buzz i had no problems with the timer yet...however got the MU just 4 months ago, plenty of time to discover new ones. :)
cheers
menumorut
Isuzu Baby

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu

Postby offroad » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:51 pm

I don't know if you've sorted this yet but the easiest way would be to wire the lights including park and tail lights to only work with the ignition on, then when you turn it off the lights will shut down at the same time as the engine.
That would probably be handy to light up the driveway for a minute while you walk inside too.
My buzzer doesn't work and I plan on wiring it like this.
offroad
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 94 Isuzu Mu. 3.1T

Return to Electrical