• Advertisement

Various help needed. novice level stuff

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Various help needed. novice level stuff

Postby bigchiefbuffalo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:56 am

So i just joined...
and i just got my first car...
and i have self respect, but i admittedly have a lot of things i dont know about my 1994 isuzu trooper. just hoping i could get someone to nicely answer some questions/diagnose stuff.

FIRST: I live in minnesota, US, very snowy, lots of flooding in spring and snowy slushy mess, often very high in winter. I want to do a snorkel air filter add-on, but i don't have much of a clue what else needs to be done in order to get through, say, 3 feet of water safely. Besides the body being watertight up to that height, is there anything i need to do in the engine compartment to be ready for that? im thinking about fuses, electrical, my battery, etc. Not sure how these american-sold cars are different from those in other parts of the world, but i dont know that it is meant to be submerged to that height right from the dealer. I also dont know about engines all that much, but is there any water-proofing, covering, or sealing i need to do to have an engine ready to perform while briefly submerged?

SECOND: (much smaller issue) my right mirror is the motorized kind that folds into the body with the switch, but it clicks and clicks and wont fold in at all unless you force it, and then does the same when it goes back out to normal position. any help?

THANKS A LOT for any help.
again, im american, 1994 isuzu trooper, NOT a complete idiot, just 18 and in a rich city where people drive around puddles...
bigchiefbuffalo
Isuzu Baby

City: Minneapolis
Vehicle: 1994 Isuzu Trooper

Re: Various help needed. novice level stuff

Postby geeves » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:48 am

Pretty sure the 94 trooper over there is the same as our troopers/bighorns apart from minor details like your mirrors. That sounds like a gear issue and might be expensive to actually fix but does it need fixing. Most of ours have fixed mirrors.
3 foot of water is a lot. If you do the snorkle and extend the diff and trans breathers to the top of the engine bay and fit a cheap plastic fuel filter to the end of the line pointing down you will of done as much as normal. Most batterys are sealed and the fuse box can tollerate water for a while although strange things do happen over time. Unplugging and refitting the fuse normaly fixes.
Dont rely on the doors being sealed. Even if they do one day you will get a chunk of mud stuck on the frame stopping it sealing. Ive had this happen and I could see the water rising on the inside
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Captcol » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:04 pm

if you are going to take on deep water make sure it is only puddles and so on, flowing water can move vehicles really easy and thats what catches out people during floods, also cars float surprisingly easy. I think I read somewhere that 1 foot of water with a slow flow will move a medium sized vehicle - grain of salt with that one tho
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby geeves » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:36 pm

good point Weve all seen the disaster docos where cars are traveling by themselves in a lot less water than that
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Minor point Do you have a diesel or petrol model If petrol a can of water dispersent (something like marine crc) is a worthwhile investment Fire it in and around your dizzy, leads etc
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Return to Electrical