• Advertisement

Headlight problem

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Headlight problem

Postby Krupkee » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:27 am

hey, i was a poster on old boards but only just made account here lol.

yeah well anyway im having lots of trouble trying to find the problem for my headlights, the high beams work but not the low beams, bought new relay, switch, bulbs, all fuses are good, unless there are separate ones somewhere i do not know about.
ive checked the wiring but the wire colours from the switch are different from the wires that are at the plug for the headlights, im assuming they change colour in the dash somewhere so i dont know which wire is which etc.
checked quite a bit of the wiring physically, by continuity checks and taking apart loom covering, still no closer to finding problem...does anyone have the wiring diagram for the headlights of a mu? so i can find out which wire could be bad?
Krupkee
Isuzu Baby

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu mu

Re: Headlight problem

Postby geeves » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:48 am

The switch drives the relay in conjunction with the high/low switch. There should be a different relay for high and low
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby pig75 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:47 am

Check the plug under the steering column that goes to the HI/LO indicator switch I think it’s the middle pin see if it’s burnt. I had one go there did all weird things with the lights
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby Pissy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:24 pm

I would use an amp meter and trace the lines in and out of relays (if thats what you mean by continuity checks,...then sorry)
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby muzila » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:38 pm

I had simalar problems with my headlights and they also kept browning out. I found that the plug on the back of the lights them selves where the problem. After spreading the pins slightly to hold the plug firmly the problem was solved. It wouldnt hurt to have a look if all else fails.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby Krupkee » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:28 am

checked the plugs, at the headlight and indicator stalk, they seem fine, not sure what to check for continuity at the relay but its getting power and grounding out ok
i spent all day yesterday outside with the multimeter, and found there is no continuity in the circuit that the switch uses when the low beam button is pressed in, it nivolves a green and red striped wire and purple wire, green one has continuity with ground and is also used by the high beams so that must be ok, the purple wire doesnt have continuity with anything at the headlight or ground etc, so it must be broken somewhere. The problem is i have no idea what colour it changes into when it goes into the engine bay, anyone have any ideas?
Krupkee
Isuzu Baby

Postby Krupkee » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:35 pm

i found this diagram of a 1996 rodeo, the wires going into the headlights are the right colour, however the colours from the dash are not, can i assume that the red/green that it shows going to red/yel from the Lo part of the switch is the purple wire that ive found is broken?

i traced a red/yellow wire that comes from the loom, it goes past all headlights and then into a plug which turns into yellow wires next to fuel pump, the red/yellow wires that come from the ehadlights go into one and also turn into a yellow wire there, so not sure whats the deal with that
Krupkee
Isuzu Baby

Postby muzila » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:04 pm

I think the only way you are going to find that fault for sure is trace and unwrap wire bundles like I am having to do. what a pain in the ass. All i am lookin for is a short somewhere.

The problem gets worse when the color of the wires dont match what they should or someone has changed wire preveously. I have a suspition the factory must run out of a certian color sometymes and then use another, Some of my wireing is factory but nothing even remotely the colors the manuals state. Dam anoying.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Return to Electrical