• Advertisement

fuel and temp gauge

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

fuel and temp gauge

Postby tertle » Wed May 20, 2015 4:46 am

Hey team, well on the road to work this morning on an early shift and noticed that both the fuel gauge and temp gauge don't seem to want to work, (at 545am i know the feeling!) The oil pressure gauge seems to be fine? when i am more awake what should i look at to fix the problem, is it a simple fuse? its a 4JB1 91 Irmscher
tertle
Isuzu Junior

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Re: fuel and temp gauge

Postby isuzurob » Wed May 20, 2015 5:20 pm

you will need a whole new gauge cluster, its a common probleml the fuel gauge runs through the temp gauge, normally if you tap the temp gauge it will start working
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby tertle » Wed May 20, 2015 8:23 pm

Haha I tapped the fuel gage didn't think to tap the temp, will give it some persuasion tomorrow morning and see if I can't help it along :)
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Postby tertle » Thu May 21, 2015 9:24 am

It worked......OMG it worked, thank you for the advice :)
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Postby MrRevhead » Thu May 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Fuel gauge? What fuel gauge? Oh you mean that needle thing that has a mind of it's own that bears little resemblance to whats actually in the tank? :lol:
Never ran out of fuel in my life until I got my MU. Now I've run out 4 times.....

ok, twice was on my motorcycle which had no reserve but that's still twice in the MU!
Last edited by MrRevhead on Thu May 21, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby geeves » Thu May 21, 2015 12:16 pm

fuel sender in the tank will be your problem.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Thu May 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Probably, motivation to remove tank and muck around with it is fairly low to be honest :lol:
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby geeves » Thu May 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Dont need to remove the tank. Sender is accessed between diff and tank. 6 screws from memory. Of course it needs to be empty
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Thu May 21, 2015 5:38 pm

I only know because i own the most of them in nz id say, is a very common problem, the power runs through the temp gauge at a variable voltage to keep the fuel gauge steady, the mu runs a different fuel/temp setup so cant help with them
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby topgun94 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:24 am

50 bucks? Thats ridiculously cheap. IF they are cheaper in NZ would anyone source one for me and post it over?
Cheers
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Return to Electrical