• Advertisement

4jg2 problem

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4jg2 problem

Postby stardog » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:05 pm

Just started getting starting problem with the wizard starts when cold but after engine has warmed up after a drive turn it off and it wont start until it cools down again turns over very slowly like the battery has gone flat checked the terminals all seem ok.
Also air con stopped working now any ideas checked the fuses all ok.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Re: 4jg2 problem

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:02 am

What voltage do you have on the battery? both at rest and while cranking cold and hot
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:13 am

I'm going to have to find my multi meter and check it when it stops raining I did install a new blue tooth stereo unit in last week.
Maybe I have a short or moved some thing under the dash it has a black widow alarm system that don't work as well.
I did find the charge rely was very hot when checking the fuse box under the bonnet as well.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby stardog » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:43 pm

Couldn't find the multi meter I had so I will go to jaycar tomorrow and get a good one but I think the battery is kapooted.
Or some thing is drawing amps overnight to flatten it i do some diagnosis tomorrow.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Got a new multi meter 12.6v on battery cold 14v charging tried a new battery same drops to 8v when cranking also when I got it running turned off the earth from the battery to the engine near air con compressor was so hot you couldn't hold it.
The starter motor looks very new in it but its the only thing I can think of that would draw that much current on cranking the engine to drop to 8v if I cant sort this might have to go to auto sparky and air con and fan don't work when engine is running as well any advice would be welcome or could it be a bad earth wire I will change that one tomorrow and see what happens.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby mattmannz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:09 am

Usually it draws more power when cold not when warm.

I would suspect the solenoid on the starter is getting hot and increasing the resistance.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Postby stardog » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:36 am

I will get it checked by a auto sparkie if the new earth strap don't fix it matt the starter looks new just might be a bad one.
I have to get this fixed as I have to change rego over from NT to NSW soon.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:51 pm

There is black magic I cleaned the negative cables and cleaned the contact points for it on the engine now my soft system is working and the 4x4 light on the dash works when engaged.
Bad part is it still drops down to 8 volts cranking and struggling to start but the earth wire on the engine isn't hot to touch now and the air con and fans still don't work now I now know why they are called wizards full of magic.
Going to try and trace the wiring tomorrow and see if I can find any thing if not off to the auto sparkies on Monday grrrrrr to go over it.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:52 pm

failing battery can be worse when its hot. Generally though one cell goes high resistance and the result is a battery that has full voltage at rest but drops to 2 or so when a load is applied.
Bad windings in the starter can also play up more when hot. My old bighorn showed the above symptoms which I diagnosed as battery. New battery fixed it for 2 weeks then it came back even on a new battery which had charger applied overnight. Then I noticed how quick the battery leads got too hot to touch when trying to start. Bearings had failed in the starter and the coils were rubbing together.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:19 am

I put a brand new battery in it geeves still the same slow turning over then it starts just.
I'm starting to think the starter motor is the problem as well also the volt gauge sits on 12- 14 volts when running and the same on the multi meter and is charging.
I will pull the dash out and see if I have done any thing when I put the new stereo in last week that's when the problem started.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:51 pm

I bought a new starter motor should be by next Thursday it seems to be starting better since I changed the earth cable but still dropping down on the volt meter.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:24 pm

Changed the starter motor today starts first turn of the key again so the starter was stuffed it looked very new but you can never tell.
Bad news is I still haven't got any fans or air con working in the cabin grrrr im not sure what to look for on the wizard if it was my mu different story.
Has anybody know what could cause this with the fans and air con.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:21 pm

mu and wizard are essentially the same
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:03 pm

My 94 mu doesn't have climate control its the same as Holden rodeo to 97 levers not buttons its the same as fronteras controls all electronic push buttons.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 am

still all affected by the charge relay
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:51 am

I just had the same fualt in my 89 bighorn, and that is a complex system, best way is to find a wiring diagram, mine has 2 inline fuses by the steering colum, a resister in the heater box and 4 relays the charge relay is one of them, then to a relay behind passenger headlamp the is earthed by the oil pressure sensor on the engine (this relay was faulty on mine) have ac and blower fan again, then i had a high speed relay and mid speed, The systm works on constant power to the fan and resists the earth for fan speeds, well thats how mine was
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby stardog » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:17 am

Thanks for the quick reply's guys
Brand new brown charge relay installed when I changed the alternator over the battery is also new and new starter motor.
Getting charge on multi meter 14 volts to battery when running.
I will see if I can find the wiring diagrams in the manuals I have for jackaroo and fronteras but the v6 petrol might be different set up to a diesel.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:02 pm

I think I have a couple of bad relays in the fuse box in the engine bay can I use normal 4 or 5 pin relays instead of the jideco ones except the charge relay.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:58 pm

check the numbers on them. There are different configurations
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:59 pm

There are no numbers on the relays only the brown charge relay the good thing is my air con and fan are back working again.
The black relays look like normal relays in the pin set up 5 pins but only 4 pins are used in the socket.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Return to Electrical