• Advertisement

speed sensor advice - threading and the brass drive thingy

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

speed sensor advice - threading and the brass drive thingy

Postby DesmondD » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:31 am

Just two cautionary notes on speed sensors - at least for 1993 v6 Bighorn:
(1) I bought a new speed sensor (cheap) off Trademe, that wouldn't screw on. I got another, used of course, at Pic-A-Part, also cheap, that screwed on with no problem. On inspecting them the thread pitches on each were obviously different. Otherwise they appear to be identical.
(2) when you take off your speed sensor, be sure to remove also the brass drive (an inch long or so, that links the gearbox rotation to the sensor itself), and don't lose it like I did, when I went for a drive without the speed sensor attached but leaving the brass piece inserted not realising it could fall out all by itself!
DesmondD
Isuzu Baby

City: Lower Hutt
Vehicle: 1993 Bighorn LWB 3.2L petrol auto

Re: speed sensor advice - threading and the brass drive thin

Postby mrsuzu » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:34 pm

DesmondD wrote:Just two cautionary notes on speed sensors - at least for 1993 v6 Bighorn:
(1) I bought a new speed sensor (cheap) off Trademe, that wouldn't screw on. I got another, used of course, at Pic-A-Part, also cheap, that screwed on with no problem. On inspecting them the thread pitches on each were obviously different. Otherwise they appear to be identical.
(2) when you take off your speed sensor, be sure to remove also the brass drive (an inch long or so, that links the gearbox rotation to the sensor itself), and don't lose it like I did, when I went for a drive without the speed sensor attached but leaving the brass piece inserted not realising it could fall out all by itself!

Why did you need to change the speed sensor? Sometimes on my bighorn the speedometer won't start going until i drive for couple of 100 kilometers or i would say when the car goes to probably 3rd gear may be. Is this a speed sensor problem. Cheers .
mrsuzu
Isuzu Junior

City: Invercargill
Vehicle: Isuzu bighorn 1992, 4JG2-t.

Re: speed sensor advice - threading and the brass drive thin

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:35 pm

on the autos the speedo drive is used as a signal to the gearbox. It failed on my Wizard and very bad things happened. Fine cold but after 10 minutes the speedo started going up and down and the auto started deciding when it was down it should change down and when it was up it should change up. Result a gear change every 2 seconds. It did settle if you got to the point that the speedo was always above 80kph but I was thinking it was stuck in third as the revs were over 3k. Turned gps on and realised it was in top and 130kph. Luckily didnt have to explain that to Mr Plod.
Slower it was undrivable
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Electrical