• Advertisement

Calcium/silver batterys

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Calcium/silver batterys

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:45 pm

After only 8 years my battery was showing signs of impending doom (battery was dated 6/08)so I have replaced it. New battery is 780cca silver calcium which is smaller than the old battery but same reserve capacity and better cranking amps at -18 not that Im going to test that feature.
Now the question is do I need to doctor my charging system to take this battery. With the new battery and running above 2000 revs a voltmeter only shows 14.2V.
Also do I need to fit a trickle charger? Ive been looking at solar units that can be strapped to the sunvisor and then even in the garage half an amp or so could be pumped into the battery
thoughts please
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Calcium/silver batterys

Postby Dinger95 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:36 am

No experience with them, but going by Wikipedia (confirm with another source) they do need a higher charging voltage than regular aka lead-antimony batteries.

"Disadvantages
Silver calcium batteries generally require more charging voltage (14.4 to 14.8 V) and may not be functional in older vehicles because their power generating systems (alternators) give lower voltages than those of modern vehicles. This also may occur with static chargers, some of which fail to charge these batteries."
Dinger95
Isuzu Baby

City: York
Vehicle: 1997 Isuzu Rodeo (Mu Wizard / Frontera / UCS7VF)

Re: Calcium/silver batterys

Postby stardog » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:25 pm

I just bought a projecta pro charger 16a charges everything had a deep cycle battery and AGM that my other charger wouldn't charge this 1 will charge the lot even calcium batteries im very happy with it.
Whish I had bought long time ago could have saved a heap instead of buying new batteries when I didn't need to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Return to Electrical