• Advertisement

96' Bighorn Odometer not working

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

96' Bighorn Odometer not working

Postby cfleck » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:18 pm

Recently bought a 96' Bighorn 4JG2 3.1 diesel. Everything in the cluster works good except for the odometer and trip odometer don't do anything. I suspect previous owners disabled to avoid the diesel road charges. I cannot find any switch and after half pulling the cluster i don't see any obvious signs of alerations other than marks on the screws for the outer most dash cover.

Either way how can I get it working again?

Thanks
cfleck
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1

Re: 96' Bighorn Odometer not working

Postby geeves » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:48 am

I trust the speedo works? The odo runs off the speedo which is electronically driven from the gearbox. If its auto the signal then goes to the ecu to control gear shifts. The speed sensor failed intermittently on my Wizard and the auto didnt know what to do below 120kph.
Otherwise its open the speedo work out how its been stopped and undo the damage. Might be easier to get a new speedo from a wrecker but remember to talk to ltsa about adjusting the mileage on the ruc
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby cfleck » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:09 pm

Pulled the cluster out, removed the speedometer portion and didn't see any obvious signs of tampering.
I was able to compress the spring and roll the top gear/bar a bit into a position that left if more free moving.

I was also able to turn the worm gear off the motor with my finger and see everything moving and odo and trip both worked properly.

It seemed as though the rotating numbers moved the top bar/gear which was in a stuck position when i started.

Its back together but was parked where I couldn't take it for a drive. Will see in the morning if its moving or not. Mechanically working, possibly electric motor with worm gear otherwise.

Anyone know the process with nzta if I drop another cluster with different odo reading on it?
cfleck
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1

Postby geeves » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Had a quick look but no help. VTNZ are worth contacting
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Electrical