• Advertisement

What's an Isuzu NKR's ECU for?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

What's an Isuzu NKR's ECU for?

Postby thetim » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:00 am

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and hope you don't mind me announcing myself with a question.
I'm building a 4x4 for an African hospital and am using the cab from a 2004 Isuzu NKR. As part of this process, I'm converting it to left hand drive. Unfortunately, a LHD wiring loom is almost impossible to find and sellers ask improbable amounts for them, so I'm re-using what I've got.

The vehicle is on Land Rover running gear, so the engine won't need the ECU to run...! However, I don't know whether any other cab electrics need it. When finished, the build will have manual windows, but will retain the electric fan, lighting circuits etc. It would be helpful to thin out the wiring loom, but I don't want to eliminate anything I may need.

So... anyone know whether the ECU does more than control the engine?

Thankyou in advance and best regards,
Tim.
thetim
I'm only here for the information

City: Derby
Vehicle: Isuzu NKR

Re: What's an Isuzu NKR's ECU for?

Postby thetim » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:27 am

Having spent a fair while with a multimeter, car battery and the loom, I can confirm that most of the cab functions work without the ECU. The reason I say "most" is that I've not hooked everything up - some things don't work at all. I've not found anything for which the ECU makes a difference. I assume that it's normally needed for the speedo etc, but I've converted to a Land Rover speedo, so that gets that out of the way! I'm expecting to have to re-think the various warning lights too, but other than that, I'm starting to think I can lose the ECU and not worry about it.
thetim
I'm only here for the information

City: Derby
Vehicle: Isuzu NKR

Re: What's an Isuzu NKR's ECU for?

Postby geeves » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:02 am

What engine is it? Earlier diesels only used a small ecu to control the EGR which you most likely disconected. Later engines like 96 and later 4jg2 and 4jh1 etc used the ecu to control the pump and or injector rail. These probably wont start without the ecu.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Electrical