• Advertisement

4JG2T Starting issues

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JG2T Starting issues

Postby rocklobster » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi guys & gals, have been stalking the forums for some time researching before purchasing a bighorn. Suffice it to say I still bought one with a few issues.
Since purchasing the truck I drove it back from Hamilton to Auckland where I had no issues whatsoever until I got to Auckland where the temp gauge started creeping up when idle.
I gave the radiator a flush and all sorts of rust/mud came through so I went and bought a replacement given the risk of blockage, and I really want to keep the truck for a long time. Fitted this, a new thermostat and gasket along with another flush just last week. Unfortunately there's pressure building as soon as I crank the engine so a suspected cracked head.
That all done and said I've been having another issue with the truck and I can't ascertain if it's electrical or engine as I don't even know where to start. 9/10 times the truck cranks fine after the glowplugs have warmed, but the odd time when turning the key there's a click and nothing, radio still running and dash lights on, but no crank. I turn the key off, double check she's in park and try again. To get it to crank seems to be entirely random. Sometimes it takes 3 tries with the key, others it takes 10. Again, this is only happening very rarely when it does, but still annoying to put up with.
To date the only thing I can think of is the truck preventing itself from starting due to thinking it isn't in park. But I've tried taking it in and out of park to no joy. A mate of mine suggested pushing it further north then where it naturally seats, but still nothing.
Any ideas to lead to the root of the issue would be gratefully appreciated!
rocklobster
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 1993 3.1D Auto

Re: 4JG2T Starting issues

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:20 pm

Try wriggling the gear stick side to side while trying to crank. Also What gear does the display show when it fails. Sounds like the inhibitor switch
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: 4JG2T Starting issues

Postby Fistful » Sun May 07, 2017 6:24 am

Definitely sounds like the inhibitor switch.
I had this problem with a Mu that I once owned.
Removed the switch, opened it up and cleaned the thick greasy crap out of it with some solvent.
Never had another problem with it.
Prior to doing this repair I used to start it using a wire which I had run from the starter solenoid to the battery. To start, you turn the ignition on, then touch the wire to the positive battery terminal.... making sure the transmission is definitely in neutral before doing so or you'll run yourself over!
Fistful
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1999 isuzu wizard

Return to Electrical