• Advertisement

Tired engine...

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Tired engine...

Postby K1WIGUY » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Hello, I have a manual 1994 Mu with the 4jg2 engine which was slowly losing power over the time I have owned it. The turbo always sounded like a turboprop engine slowing down every time you turned the engine off.

A mate of mine installed a new turbo and intercooler and changed the oil from 10w/30 to 5w/30 and the engine didn't like it and only did about 50km towards home and started blowing oil into the air feeding pipe just after the air filter and it had gone everywhere and is dripping out of the topmounted intercooler. It now smokes badly on start up...

One macanic I took it to said that over 50% of the compression is going past the rings. Another said it tired and I shouldn't have bothered putting the new turbo on. (He obviously doesn't know how cool Mus are :D ) I have had suggested to put 10w40 oil in and use it as is and keep topping it up as required.

I have just brought new 32x11.5 Maxxis bighorns and 15x8 rims for it along with new springs and a MCC winchbar

I would love to know what other ideas any club members have.

Cheers
K1WIGUY
Isuzu Baby

City: Westport
Vehicle: 96 Mu 3.1 manual. 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 40mm spring lift plus extended shackles, MCC winchbar with 12000lb winch and led spot lights, Barlight across windscreen. Front Lokka.

Re: Tired engine...

Postby geeves » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:41 am

go back to 15w 40 oil and make sure its a good diesel oil. It may help but its not expensive if it doesnt Unfortuanatly the diagnosis sounds correct. If you take the oil filler off is there lots of smoke?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby K1WIGUY » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Hello, I'm still going in circles over this problem. I was talking to a macanic who has done alot of work on them years ago and he doesn't think the rings are stuffed as it never burnt oil until I changed the turbo and the oil. He thinks that as it had 5w30 in it when the oil first leaked it could have glazed the cylinders and could take a could of thousand of ks to burn it off. He saying it's either the oil or the turbo that is the problem or the hoses have been hooked up wrong and pressurising wrong areas. I'll have a go at uploading some photos of the hoses that were replaced and would appreciate if someone could confirm if they are in the right place.
K1WIGUY
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 96 Mu 3.1 manual. 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 40mm spring lift plus extended shackles, MCC winchbar with 12000lb winch and led spot lights, Barlight across windscreen. Front Lokka.

Postby K1WIGUY » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:04 pm

The hose with the t join in it goes down between the aultonator and the engine. The other two go to the EGR units. Are the hoses plugged into the right spot? Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K1WIGUY
Isuzu Baby

Postby Ricardo999 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:30 am

A new turbo may exacerbate the problem if the old one wasn't boosting well and the rings are on the way out, i.e. you are getting way more blowby.

However there is some good news:

Other thing for a tired engine is to install a catch can with a recycle back to the sump. These virtually stop all oil getting into the air intake and stops smoking and oil usage. Google or youtube, might just get you a few more years out of it. You add hose and plumb the rocker cover hose into one side and the hose to the air inlet tubes the other side. This link tells you lots - my advice is make sure you get a can you can open both ends and put in the mesh. If you have a Bighorn you can drill a hole in the bottom and run a small return hose and T into the rubber hose / pipe that runs into the oil stick holder, This way any oil collected will dribble back into the sump. Over time smoking will stop (as oil in the intercooler and inlet manifold burns off). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rH4oLZAHdw
Ricardo999
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 TD

Return to Electrical