• Advertisement

glow plug relay and timer

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

glow plug relay and timer

Postby skyna » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi, Can anyone tell me where the glow plug timer and relay is on a 1992 Isuzu Mu, Dash glow light only stays on for .5sec then go,s out before starting. Mu will start first click but blows smoke an runs little rough till it warms up, I cannot hear any relays clicking before or after start, any help would be great,Cheers
skyna
Isuzu Baby

City: northland
Vehicle: 1992, 2.8 Isuzu Mu, 4jb1T

Re: glow plug relay and timer

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 am

Thats normal on that engine. Dont know where the timer is but its controlled by one of the sensors in the thermostat housing . Only has 2 positions. Above 5C you get the short glow (flash) below 5C you get 20 to 30 seconds glow.
(this also sets the timeing to advanced when coolant is below this temp)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Ricardo999 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:17 am

1996 EFI Bighorn. Short glow time when engine warm is an age old issue. I looked high and low - thought about putting in relays to fool the temp sensor that the engine was cold etc etc. Ended up putting in a relay with a push button in the plastic fascia below the dash that connects the battery to the glow plug cable (located just above the window wiper motor). I hold the button, count to 5 and voila! Fires up in half a turn when hot. Wish I had done this years ago. Cost- about $5 with a relay, some thick cable and a push button off AliExpress. You will need a 50A or 70A relay - the power draw is 40+ amps. I sat the relay in the under bonnet fuse/relay container, plenty of room.
Ricardo999
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 TD

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:06 am

hot engine shouldnt need glowing even indirect diesel. If you are having hot start issues you should look elswhere although the computer controls the injection so it could be one of a number of sensors. Your answer if it works is probably the cheapest
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Chrisbad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Reviving an old topic - Can anyone tell me where the glow plug timer and relay is on a 1992 Isuzu Mu??
Chrisbad
I'm only here for the information

City: Pretoria
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 3.1

Postby geeves » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:25 pm

If its a 92 its the 2.8 and you wont need glow plugs
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby tonkamu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Just wondering if the 2.8's need that in Auckland. What happens on a cold morning below 5 degrees if you had that sensor removed from top of thermostat? Could I just wait longer even though the glow plugs light went out before turning engine over? Those sensors are pretty ugly a bolt plug would look much better.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby geeves » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:28 pm

On the 2.8 the sensor does 2 things. Above 5C it pretty much does nothing but below that it increases glow time and advances the timing. I dont have the 2.8 now but I rember a few times starting the car and driving out of the garage then noticing the glow plug light was still on. Engine knocks under load when this happens though . You do get enouggh cold days in Auckland to justify it but also remember somtimes you might want to go to Ruapeahu in the winter
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Electrical