• Advertisement

HELP!!! Intermittent charge of battery whilst Driving

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

HELP!!! Intermittent charge of battery whilst Driving

Postby RickyTrooper » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:56 pm

HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!!

Friends, Im in need of advice or assistance. If you could help, I would be very grateful.

I own a 1992 Isuzu Bighorn Trooper 3.1 td lotus edition. 110,000 miles. It is in excellent condition and has been well looked after. It has been in the family since being imported from Japan in 2004. Having done only 45000 miles since then and used only a couple times a year to tow a little caravan away for weekends.

I have an issue which comes and goes as and when it feels like it, making it hard for me to resolve the issue.

When I am driving, sometimes the voltmeter on the dash board will show that the alternator is not charging, sometimes dropping as low as 8 volts, causing the lights to get dim. Then other times will show that the alternator is charging just fine, sitting at just under 12 volts. Sometimes, I can make a journey with the voltmeter showing that the alternator is being charged, then having being parked for an hour or so, when coming to start the vehicle, the battery is dead.

Other times, when driving, the radio will cut out and turn back on and the Ariel will drop down and lift back up, sometimes maybe three or four times.

I have replaced the alternator, the alternator belt, alternator charge light relay (blue), and this hasn't appeared to resolve the issue.

I am looking to get this repaired before I sell to someone who will appreciate this wonderful car for what it is.

HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!!
RickyTrooper
I'm only here for the information

City: Walsall
Vehicle: Isuzu Trooper Bighorn 3.1TD 1992 Lotus Edition

Re: HELP!!! Intermittent charge of battery whilst Driving

Postby geeves » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:45 am

battery voltage should be 14 not 12 but my bighorn also shows 12 when a proper multimeter shows 14. You have replaced all the obvious stuff except maybe the battery. However intermittent faults often come down to broken wires of bad connections. Only starting places I can suggest are the battery terminals the alternator conections or if its a car with dual battery the wiring for that
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Brinky » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 am

Double check your alternator belt even though it has been changed. I had to replace mine twice before I found the right length. Had to modify my tensioner to help get more adjustment. If it is the belt slipping it will also affect your brake vacuum.
Brinky
Isuzu Baby

City: AUCKLAND
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8l UCS55
Auto Trans, Inter-cooled, 2" Raised, Standard dump pipe with 2.5" exhaust, K&N filter, Snorkel, Raised Trans and Transfer Box with modified cross brace, Not lifted, 32 muds, Runva 9500 winch, disconnected sway bar, double air lockers

Postby RickyTrooper » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Thank you for the response Gents,

Brinky, I have been keeping an eye on the alternator belt and have had to keep adjusting the tensioner. I also found that there were different length belts. This makes sense as I have noticed that the brakes have been affected since this has been happening.

Geeves, I noticed also that the dash records a lower voltage than a multimeter, sorry I forgot to mention that I also replaced the battery. I could only put it down to a faulty connection or wire somewhere as its strange how the radio can keep cutting out and starting again whilst driving, and also how the battery can be drained after a few hours standing, after having been charged on a journey. Only thing i can think, if something is shorting out, causing the battery drain.
RickyTrooper
I'm only here for the information

City: Walsall
Vehicle: Isuzu Trooper Bighorn 3.1TD 1992 Lotus Edition

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 am

If the brakes are affected you have your answer. Battery discharging might be a red herring as the battery wasnt charged in the first place. You can start with a fully charged battery and either get a clamp meter to measure or disconnect one set of leads and measure with a amp meter setting on a regular multi-meter ans see what current is being drawn when the car is of. Alarms always take some as does any radio you can turn on and off with a remote control. My bighorn draws about 10ma off and if I dont use it for 3 months I have to push start but it can sit a month or 2 no issue.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 am

I had same problem radio cutting out and coming back on while driving plus the battery light would come on when this happened.
I changed the battery same thing happening then the alternator same thing so i tried a new alternator and it stopped doing it.
Pulled the old alternator apart diode bridge was melted on 3 of the connections ordered a new one and rebuilt the old one as a spare its a 120 amp so I wasn't throwing it away.
What had happened a 8mm nut had come undone and was floating around and shorted out the diode bridge.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby DonaldNZ » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:18 pm

I'd suggest as Geeves and test your battery voltage while engine running a 2000 rpm with headlights, heater & rear screen heater all on high as this will put around a 30 amp load on the alternator so may pick up a loose belt

voltage at the battery should be 14-14.5v not 13.5 or less
if you can only just turn the alternator pulley by hand then sometimes the belt is tight enough.
as sais if the brakes are poor too then this may indicate the belt is alo loose , another give away is the alternator pulley temperature , hot = slipping.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

City: mainland
Vehicle: wizard ucs69 4jg2t electronic pump & 30-43le trans.
Extra trans cooler in series & before radiator trans cooler.
airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Return to Electrical