• Advertisement

Heavy duty spec alternators????

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Re: Heavy duty spec alternators????

Postby DonaldNZ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:34 pm

Alternators require clean cold air rather than rocks small animals and mud, in extreme conditions I've ducted filtered ram air to them, fit a cheapee temperature gauge to it and when its getting hot say ~ 100- 110 degrees C as the stator varnish and enamel has different temperature capability depending on price and usually are good to ~ 120 degrees C. reduce the load, or install a resistor you can add via a switch in the field circuit. One aftermarket regulator [ balmar ] I've fitted in hot and marine units have a temperature sensor fitted to the alternator you can program the regulator to fold back [ reduce output ] automatically by an adjustable amount when they go over an adjustable temperature. They are not designed to be a trash pump. Some high end Bosch units are water cooled so they can operate in harsh conditions

I suggest if your starters are dying due to water then run a 2- 5 psi air pump into a tank and a tube into the starter brushes end so its kept at positive pressure and the tank will help if you submerge the starter in a hurry when hot. some old school starter run an intermediate bracket or plate with a seal at the drive end so they can run in a wet clutch. that may be an option.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

City: mainland
Vehicle: wizard ucs69 4jg2t electronic pump & 30-43le trans.
Extra trans cooler in series & before radiator trans cooler.
airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Return to Electrical