• Advertisement

Reverse Light Switch

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Reverse Light Switch

Postby spitsnrovers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 pm

It seems most of the back up (reversing) light system is gone on my '91 diesel KB pickup. The 'reverse switch' on the transmission is smashed and I don't seem able to find a second hand one. This one has a threaded portion that screws into the left hand side of the manual transmission. The threaded portion ends with a ball which can be pushed in against an internal spring. However, this one doesn't seem to activate when the transmission was put into reverse. Maybe it is too short?

Does anyone have a photo of what one should look like?
spitsnrovers
Isuzu Baby

City: San Ramón
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu KB 1600 Double Cab

Re: Reverse Light Switch

Postby bozza72 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:21 pm

I had the same problem & just fitted a manual switch on the dash seemed the easyest way to fix the problem.
bozza72
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 2.8 Dt

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:26 pm

If you really get stuck follow those wires up to the plug where they enter the wiring loom and put in a dash switch (better if its an illuminated switch so you dont leave it on) Ive done this in parallel with my working reverse unit so that I can use the reverse lights to hook up trailers ,shut gates etc in the dark without actually being in gear
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby spitsnrovers » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I would follow the wires up to the loom - exscept there are no wires! As mentioned there's a lot missing.

There is a switch on the dash, which I assumed the previous owner may have used as a backup switch, but till I pull the little plastic piece out of the dash, I don't even know where its wires might go.

Funny thing is, here in CR things are done a little more simply than we might expect elsewhere. When I asked at a parts place about a reverse switch, the sales guy asked if I wanted one for the transmission, or one for the dash. Guess he was already thinking like bozza77. I had been worried about using this option because vehicles here need an annual inspection and I don't know if I get to operate the switch while the mechanic watches - or if his assistant does it.
spitsnrovers
Isuzu Baby

Postby bozza72 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:37 am

Best to have a chat with someone at the testing station, here in NZ its not illegal to have no reverse lights,

if the testing place says its ok you can run a wire from the lights at the back to a new switch on the dash & turn them on when you want.

ps i loved costa rica when i came your way, awsome for scuba diving
bozza72
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 2.8 Dt

Postby costaricanzuu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:16 pm

you can try to find the originall transmision switch at Respuestos Exclusivos, they have a lot of parts for Isuzu and a lot of originall and generic parts...
if you can't figure it out just install the switch I dont think you will have problems with RTV
costaricanzuu
Isuzu Baby

City: Heredia
Vehicle: Isuzu KB 2.5 turbo diesel

Postby costaricanzuu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:24 pm

make sure to check www.myisuzuparts.com our cars arent listed there but I'm pretty sure that you have a MUA5 gear box so it will be the same that old troopers got so check at
1990 TROOPER II - CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION - GEAR SHIFTER AND QUADRANT BOX ---there you can check for item 398 wich it's the switch
costaricanzuu
Isuzu Baby

City: Heredia
Vehicle: Isuzu KB 2.5 turbo diesel

Postby spitsnrovers » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks for that CR isuzu. From that diagram, and the fact that I could feel no movement in the switch while my wife put the transmission in reverse - I'll bet the other ball and pin (412, 413) are also missing from inside the transmission.. Oh well more parts to find, or

just put the switch on the dash!
spitsnrovers
Isuzu Baby

Return to Electrical