• Advertisement

Replacing CV Boots?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Replacing CV Boots?

Postby Captcol » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:37 am

While I have the wheels off, the ball joints out (for flip), and shocks out how much more work is it to replace the cv boots? Do I have to remove the cv itself to replace the boots?

Been a long time since I haven't paid somebody to do this kind of work but I would rather do it myself.
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Re: Replacing CV Boots?

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Look in the faq
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby gomulletgo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:06 am

Hi geeves. I've looked in the faq for faults and maintenance, I can't see anything about cv boots. Can you please point me in the right direction? :)
gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 89 bighorn 2.8ITD Manual LWB,
93 bighorn 3.1ITD Manual LWB.

Postby geeves » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:03 pm

ok its well hidden on the faq page but 4 posts down in this forum section you would of found this viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6133 That along with a link in that thread http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/tech/CVboots/index.htm covers everything you could ever need to know about cv joint repair including the boots
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby skitz4x4 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm

I'm in the process of replacing the passenger side cv atm.. and what can i say HUGE job lol. Its quite a prick to remove the diff mount with the bearing and seal still attached. Ended up wrecking the seal pulling it out :roll: Strangest thing i purchased the car with 2 spare cv's.. I opted for the easy option first, just changing the inner cv with the new one but they were two different housings.. the new one had the 3 roller bearing setup and the original has the 6 bearing setup.. is this normal for them to be different or has old mate acquired the wrong cv's? Either way it meant the HARD way :lol:

Cheers Skottie
skitz4x4
Isuzu Baby

City: townsville
Vehicle: 96' 4JG2-TC Holden Jackaroo

Postby stardog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:28 pm

The ones with the 3 roller bearings are the after market ones they are crap they fall out or snap stick to the original cv's get a set out of a tf rodeo 88-95 models from the wreckers if you can.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Are you replacing just the boots or whole cv? Ive never seen a 3 roller cv joint and wouldnt trust it as far as I could throw it. 2 ways to do CV joints. The way in the book and the easy way. The book way is only necessary if you need to change the outer part of the inner cv. Any other time just undo the band round the boot reach inside and find the wire spring clip pop it out and split the inner joint. Cv boots is a 1.5 hour job as is a typical cv replacement. That at diy speed. By the book its 4 to 8 hours
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mattmannz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:29 pm

The hard part on a ubs69 is resealing the inner CV boot. You cannot get a band clamp tool onto it with the diff in place. I have had bad luck using manual methods of tightening and have had zip ties snap and snag on stuff.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Postby gomulletgo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:11 am

Thanks for the info Geeves :D and thanks to the others for the extra info.
gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 89 bighorn 2.8ITD Manual LWB,
93 bighorn 3.1ITD Manual LWB.

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension